Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16

The next few days in Chandipur were busy ones for Abir. He had tenants to visit in his massive estate, see to the land, make sure that his plantations there were thriving. He then had to go over the budgets and make sure the accounts were right. Ketki had been managing it all these years and it was immaculate, but he continued to check them.

It gave him something to do.

Abir felt uncomfortable and uneasy in his own home. Whenever he had thought of coming, he supposed he had thought of returning to everything and everyone exactly as he had left them. He had thought of returning to himself as he had been.

But everything had changed, himself most of all.

He resented it. He deeply resented it. But after a few days he realized that he could not simply return to India and continue with the life that he had led before. Because he had come home, he could not go back. He was a man caught in limbo, belonging nowhere and to no one.

Not that he had any reason to complain. His mother doted on him. Every morning they would have breakfast together and she would pour her lavish love on him, conversing about daily matters and such.

One day, he asked about the neighbours.

Parul : Most of them have left Chandipur. They prefer Ahmedabad or Rajkot. No one likes the country anymore. Atul recently bought the Guptas' place adjacent to ours. He, Neha and the kids will shift there once the renovations are complete.

Abir (quietly) : What about the Modis? Have they visited you, Ma?

He hoped they had not. Hopefully, Anil Modi wouldn't learn of his returning to India and therefore not come look for him.

Parul : Anil passed away two years ago, beta. Did I not tell you that?

Abir looked at her and shook his head no. She knew she had not, of course. It was not something she would have mentioned.

Parul : Since his wife died years ago and his son is settled in Brussels, Anil left the house and estate to his daughter.

Abir looked sharply at her. Anil Modi had had only one daughter.

Abir : Sanjana? Does she still live here?

Parul (calmly) : Yes, she does. In fact, I think you should talk to her. She lives barely ten minutes from you. You will meet her sooner than later. Why not put everything to rest? All that happened was a long time ago.

He stared mutely at her. Yes, a long time ago indeed—all of which time he had spent in exile. Did she seriously expect that he could forgive and forget and simply let bygones be bygones? He had known Sanjana since childhood. He, his brother and Ketki had played with her. And then she had betrayed him so horribly.

Oblivious to his inner turmoil, His mother continued speaking.

Parul : She's still Ketki's best friend. You cannot ignore her existence entirely.

Abir : Is she married?

Parul (shaking her head) : No! She never did get married. Beautiful as she is, she has never found the man who will please her. Promise me you will talk to her.

Abir clenched his fist and spoke, the words coming out harsher than he intended.

Abir : No Ma! How can you expect me to think kindly of her? I will not go and talk to her.

It hurt that his mother accepted her as a neighbour with such calmness and had not discouraged the friendship between Ketki and Sanjana. It hurt that Ketki had not spurned her friend. Had it mattered to no one that he had been cut off from their lives almost as effectively as if someone had put a bullet through his heart? Had they imagined that he was enjoying himself staying away from them?