Chapter 17

Happy Dussehra everyone 🤍

CHAPTER 17

Kunal Raj Singhania stood at the doorway of his sister's room and stared at her sitting on the couch near the window. He waited for the familiar feelings of sorrow to envelop him and found that he was not disappointed. He watched Mishti crouch and anger replaced the gloom surrounding him.

His sister was one of the bravest persons he had ever known and now, She was the bravest person he knew. But somehow, she seemed so forlorn, so alone. He knew Mishti wasn't the type to be affected by gossip, but she did almost witness her brother's death firsthand and God knows what other horrors his sister had endured.

Kunal recalled the conversation he had had with Kuhu earlier in the morning.

Kuhu : Kunal! Why don't we ask Mishti to come with us when we return to Udaipur?

Kunal (surprised) : That's a good idea, Kuhu. But will she come? She seems to find comfort here.

Kuhu hit him on his back and Kunal turned towards her, an incredulous look on his face.

Kunal : What was that for?

Kuhu : Sweetheart, Nannu died.

She placed her palms on his cheeks as her eyes grew moist. Kunal held her, trying to find comfort from her.

Kuhu : Nannu died and Mishti heard the information first. She was alone in some city. None of us were with her. She had to endure it all alone. She came back here with Abir Rajvansh which led to gossip. I know our Mishti doesn't care about gossip and won't let it affect her but she's alone, Kunal. You have me and our son. Naira has Kartik and her kids to find comfort. Naksh bhaiyya..... Naksh bhaiyya loves us but he is not warm. He protects us but comfort.... I don't think Mishti is happy. She is forlorn and as much as we try to put it away to sorrow, We have neglected her because we were too busy dealing with our own grief.

Now, Kunal thought of the words and felt yet more emotions course through him. Shame. Guilt. Self-Reproach.

Mishti (softly) : Kunal!

Kunal was shaken out of his reverie and looked at his kid sister watching him.

Mishti : Were you planning to come in?

Kunal (smiling sheepishly) : Well, That was the plan. But then I started thinking about the fact that I've been an ass.

Mishti (chuckling) : What did you do to Kuhu bhabhi now?

Kunal : No... Not with Kuhu. I've been acting like an ass with you.

Mishti (surprised) : Me?

Kunal : None of us have been there for you. I had Kuhu and Naira has Kartik but we were so busy wrapped up in our grief we forgot to be there for our little sister. Our sister who literally watched our brother walk away from her and never saw him return. MY sister who's the bravest of us all and we weren't there for her.

Mishti blinked back the tears that had appeared in her eyes and offered him a cheeky smile.

Mishti : Well, At least you accepted that I'm the bravest.

Kunal laughed and hugged Mishti. They spoke of inane matters for a while until Kuhu, Naira and Kartik joined them.

Kartik : So, Little sister-in-law, Kuhu was telling us that you might join them when they return to Udaipur.

Mishti nodded her head.

Mishti : Kunal has just been asking me if I would like to accompany them. I mean, it would be fun to meet Dadi and play with Laksh the whole day but....