Chapter 25

Sorry I'm not updating regularly. It's the end of the semester and I have too many deadlines. Will be regular post the semester. Thank you all so much for 10k reads and 1k votes :)

Chapter 25

The sun was setting and everyone was making the most of the light by playing in the garden. Naira and Kartik were taking a walk, Kunal, Kuhu and Ketki were chatting while Mishti was sitting and watching the kids as they ran and played.

Abir watched them from his study window, having just concluded some work for his company. He had neglected it a few days ago and so, the pile had become bigger.

It pleased him that his family and the bolder Singhanias seemed to like one another. It particularly pleased him that Mishti had been so well accepted here and that she seemed genuinely delighted by her surroundings and the people in it.

He was going to ask her hand in marriage in earnest at the engagement party which was in two days. He would convince her of his love for her. He would.

Suddenly the sound of the gates opening reached his ears and he watched a black XUV enter the compound. The window rolled down slightly as Mishti raised her arm in a greeting, but the car didn't stop there.

Abir watched as the car stopped at the driveway and then the door opened and a lady stepped out. Abir's mouth turned into a straight line.

Yesterday, Mishti had gone out with Ketki and though they hadn't told him anything about it, Abir had guessed where they might have gone.

After all, Mishti had been clear when she told him that she wouldn't stay out of it as her brother was involved in the incident as well.

Yesterday, Mishti had gone to meet Sanjana and now, Sanjana had come here. Sanjana was in his house. Why?

He watched her climb the steps leading to the inside of the house as she disappeared from view. Mishti was looking up at the window. Briefly their eyes met before he turned away. Was this too a part of her revenge?

Had Sanjana come to see him?

He would refuse to see her. It was as simple as that.

But then a servant came to tell him that Sanjana Raichand wished to speak to him. Abir opened his mouth to say no. After all, even if she had come to ask for his forgiveness, he had none to give.

Some thing were unforgivable.

Mishti's voice entered his head.

Oh really! Does using your enemy's sister as a pawn for your revenge count as an unforgivable sin?

Abir suddenly remembered a part of the prayer that he had once learnt in school.
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us

Abir : I'll see her. Show her to the inner salon. I don't want to be disturbed.

He looked out to see if Mishti was still there, but she was no longer there. He moved out of the room and entered the salon. Sanjana was staring at the desk that was present but turned towards him when she heard his footsteps.

Sanjana : Abi.... Mr Rajvansh.

She was, he realized with some satisfaction when he heard the tremor in her voice, very nervous.

Abir (curtly) : I don't think we have anything to say to each other anymore, Miss Raichand.

He saw the forlorn female and wondered what had happened to her. As a girl, She had been beautiful with high cheekbones and lovely eyes. She was even more lovely now. But the vitality was missing from her eyes. She simply looked tired. He wondered why she had not wanted to marry Naksh who had been and was still one of the most eligible bachelors right now.