Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Abir looked around the table where everyone was gathered to discuss the work needed for the betrothal party.

Abir: No way. Sanjana will not come for the party and that's final.

The Singhanias looked politely curious while the Rajvanshs looked at Abir uncomfortably.

Ketki : But Abir!

Abir (firmly) : No Ketki!

Ketki (in a louder voice) : Abir! You have to listen to me.

He looked at her with surprise. Ketki generally didn't raise her voice and was very calm.

Ketki : Five years, Abir. Don't you think it's time to let bygones be bygones?

Neha : Ketki? You're thinking about Sanjana? Shouldn't you take Abir's side?

Ketki : Par bhabhi?

Abir : No more. I do not want Sanjana at my betrothal party. (turning to the Singhanias) I'm sorry, but Sanjana and I have a rocky history and I cannot tolerate her.

Naira (smiling) : Everyone has a past. Don't worry. We won't judge you for this. Now, Why don't we go out to the garden and have a game of dodgeball? The kids will love it and we could use some activity.

Kartik : Yes, We can go to the garden and yes, we will play dodgeball but not you, My love. You shall take a light walk and then sit.

Naira (scowling) : Just because I'm pregnant? I can still run, You know. I have had children before, Kartik. Do you think you can honestly stop me playing?

Kunal (sweetly) : Naira... You may be able to intimidate your husband. But I swear, If you run or even attempt to join the game, I will personally wring your neck.

Virtually everyone at the table laughed—Naira included—and the uncomfortable moment passed.
But it was not over.

After the game, While everyone relaxed in the lounge chairs as they sipped hot tea, Mishti turned to Abir.

Mishti (softly) : What is your plan? Are you really not going to invite Sanjana? Are you going to pretend that she doesn't live just ten minutes from your house? You think you can go on with life not seeing her even once?

Abir : Yes, I can. It may not be something a Singhania would do, Mish, but it is very definitely something a Rajvansh intends doing.

Mishti : But don't you think it would be weird? Neighbours ignoring each other? People will talk.

Abir : People have already spoken. I don't care anymore and if she does, She can move away from here.

Mishti : But Abir, If you don't do this, you might never get closure.

Abir turned to Mishti and looked at her directly in the eye.

Abir : While I may have listened to you about my father, that will not happen now. I am not interested in forgiving her or even speaking to her. Remember that. This is my final word, Mishti.

She opened her mouth to say more but thought better of it. She merely nodded instead. But she was silent for only a minute or so.

Mishti : It may have affected you the most. But it has affected my brother too. I shall not remain quiet.

He did not say anything in return.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mishti could do anything to protect the people she loved. Person she loved - meaning Naksh. And so, She made a decision.