Chapter Twenty

After a few minutes, they headed back to the main area of the underground compound. The Elliot, Lily and Nikolas came from one tunnel.

"Did any humans survive?" Draven asked as one by one, her lovers stared at Tera.

"No," Elliot said, pulling his eyes from the tortured vampire.

"Shame," Draven said. "Do you know which way the others went? Perhaps I can save one or two for her."

Elliot pointed to the back of the room.

"What happened?"

Draven let go of Tera's hand and the woman stepped closer to Chevonne.

"They made her and never fed her."

"Fools," Elliot growled.

"Stay with her, but watch her. She obeys commands, but I don't know if she will turn on us."

"Let me take a guess. It was Chevonne that suggested saving her."

Draven smiled before taking off down the other tunnel.

"Yes, Elliot, it was me," Chevonne said, running her fingers over the brittle blond hair. Brittle, but for next to the scalp. The blood was beginning to heal her. "Tera, we are going to get you fixed up," Chevonne said and when the vampire looked up at her, she found that her skin didn't look as transparent and her cheeks were not quite as hollow.

"You can only do so much, love. You have to be prepared for mental issues."

"I am. If she can't be saved, I can step back. But I have to try."

Draven came back with the others right behind him. "Alas, I was to late. We need to go and find her food."

"I wish we could blow it up." Chevonne aid, looking around.

Caleb glanced at Draven. "You said that there were mines at the bottom of the pit?"

"I did."

Grinning, Caleb looked back to Chevonne. "Your wish is my command."

"Caleb, no. I don't want you hurt because of some silly need to see it burn."

"Nah, it's fine. We are too fast for them to hurt us. I promise."

"Caleb..."

"Let me have my fun."

She laughed. "Fine."

"You remember the way out?" Trey asked.

"Yep."

"Alright. Let's go. Caleb, see you in a few minutes."

~~~

From outside, the blasts didn't seem that loud, but the mountain still shook.

What would the humans think?

Didn't matter, for they would be long gone. This place of depravity and torture no longer in existence.

Yes, she was beyond disappointed to know that what she sought to destroy wasn't there, but really, that would have been too easy.

California.

How long had it been since the explosions?

Where was Caleb?

She stiffened, just starting to turn when hands touched her shoulders.

"I'm here, sweetheart."

Relief flooded her and she turned, burying her face in his chest. "Good. I would hate to kill you for getting hurt."