Chapter 9 -

Chapter 9 -

You made your way back to the train after your argument with Jacob. You figured he would have calmed down by now and rethought everything he said to you. You planned on talking things through with him but he was nowhere to be seen.

With a sigh, you changed your clothing. You got into one of your dresses and headed back towards Westminster. You would at least try to do something productive whilst Jacob wasn't in the best of moods. You still had a lot to do.

You searched around the streets to find a funeral service. You got lucky and planned everything for the following day - for an extra sum of money. There would be no body to bury but you felt like a ceremony would be necessary. You didn't want to waste anymore time. You thought it would be better to get things done sooner rather than later.

***

The following day, you found yourself at the cemetery in Westminster. You made sure that the tombstone for your mother would be beside your father.

The ground was wet and muddy from the rain the night before but the sun was out. Yet, the typical British weather remained cold overall.

You had initially cried when you witnessed her death but you hadn't since. Perhaps it had just taken its time to truly hit you. You were alone in this world. The people that brought you here were gone. Somehow you felt as though it was your fault.

Your tears dropped onto the floor in front of you and you took out your fathers letter. It was still unopened. You still didn't want to open it. You told yourself you'd come back in a few years and open it. You weren't ready to hear his voice in your head as you read it just yet.

You knelt down on the grass, not caring about the state of your clothes when you stood back up. With your gloved hand, you dug out a shallow hole and buried the letter. It was wrapped in leather to protect it. You only hoped it would survive the seasons.

You bawled at the sight of the tombstones. This was your fault. If you hadn't gotten involved with Jacob at least one of your parents would still be alive. Who was going to get mad at you for not acting like a proper lady now? You laughed at the thought of your childish squabbles with your mother over your behaviour when she took you out. You'd miss that most of all.

You still had a strong need for vengeance for what happened to your mother. So, no matter what Jacob wanted you were going to stick around until you see it through.

After a final few whispered words, you stood up.

You began heading back to the train. You hoped Jacob would be there. You hoped he would forget everything he said before and give you words of comfort. Part of you knew it was wishful thinking.

***

When you arrived back at the train, Evie and Mr. Green were there.

"Just the person we hoped to see!" Henry greeted.

"Oh?" You walked closer towards them.

"Yes-" Evie reached into a box and pulled something out, "Mr. Green and I thought it would be best for you to have a bracer." She handed a leather bracer to you, "Equipped with the hidden blade, of course."

You put the bracer on your arm and both assassins instructed you on how to use it properly.

"Thank you." You smiled, "I feel as though I am accepted into all of this."

"Well, you have been a great help in handling my brother." Evie told you then placed a gun on the desk. The only difference was it had a hook on the end of it, "A rope launcher. One like mine and Jacobs. I thought you would join me in a visit to Mr. Bell to have it fixed onto your bracer?"