Day 23-The Museum of Stolen Moments-We're Alright

Morrigan stood covering her ears and leaning into her patron. She watched as the building fell down into the flames and hundreds were killed.

Hundreds.

Not just the people who were present for the auction, but the people who had been trapped in the worst moment of their lives, on the brink of death.

Morrigan felt awful. If she hadn't done what she did, her friends could have been in there too, trying to fight the flames.

She glanced over to where Hawthorne, Cadence and Lambeth were crowded, covering their ears. Hawthorne's eyes flicked between the two girls, constantly checking if they were alright.

He looked at Morrigan. "Are you okay?" he mouthed.

Morrigan nodded, but she was far from okay. She wanted to take her hands off her ears and hug Jupiter. Hug Hawthorne. Hug Cadence. Hug Lambeth. She wanted to hold them and never let go. She needed to make sure they wouldn't get taken away from her again.

Morrigan watched the way that the flames danced as they engulfed the building. She watched the way that Israfel's wings softly flapped, keeping him afloat in the air. If she didn't know what was really going on inside the Museum, the sight could have almost been beautiful.

But it wasn't.

Tears came to her eyes as she thought of Onstald. He gave his life tonight to save hers. Morrigan would never be able to thank him. She leaned further into Jupiter.

Her tears of sadness quickly turned to tears of red hot anger as she thought of Mildmay. He had been so kind to her, so understanding up until tonight. Then he had to go and show his true colours. Morrigan wished she could forget him. Forget every happy moment that came with him.

Her eyes were drawn to the building. The last of it had fallen, Israfel stopped singing. The flames roared higher and higher until they disappeared altogether, leaving behind the ashy remains.

Jupiter grabbed her hands off her ears before falling to the ground and bringing her with him. His hands were around her waist, hers around his neck.

Morrigan released the tears. She sobbed into his shoulder letting all her anger and sadness out. Mixed with the negativity was relief at the fact that she was able to get her friends out of the Museum in time, and she was now safe in her patron's arms.

"Shhh, Mog, it's okay. I've got you. We're alright." Jupiter stroked her hair.

Morrigan tightened her arms around him. "We're alright," she repeated, as if she couldn't quite believe it herself.

Jupiter chuckled and Morrigan felt the vibrations in his chest. "Yes, Mog. We're alright."

Morrigan leaned back, releasing Jupiter and noticed tears had been let out over his face. She raised her hand and wiped them off before holding his hands.

"Don't cry, Jupiter. It's all okay. I'm here."

Jupiter nodded, looking Morrigan over. Now it was his turn to wipe away her tears.

"You're here. I'm here. We're here together. That's what matters."

Morrigan nodded.

"Thank you, Jupiter."

Jupiter's face set into a confused expression. "For what?"

"For everything. For saving my life, for bringing me to the Deucalion, helping me get into Wunsoc, for giving me a loving family."

Jupiter's eyes pooled with tears again. "I love you, Morrigan. Don't forget that. I will continue to do whatever it is that makes you happy, okay?"

Morrigan nodded. She heard a sniffle behind her. She turned around and saw Hawthorne...crying.

"Hawthorne?"

He put a hand up to hide his face. "Don't look at me! I'm okay, I promise."

Morrigan got up and walked over to him. "It's okay, Hawthorne." She wrapped her arms around him and leant her head against his shoulder.

Hawthorne tightly squeezed Morrigan. "Oh my goodness, we just did that." He chuckled. "Morrigan, we just did that. Us! Just wait until Wunsoc hears about this!"

Morrigan pulled back and chuckled.

"Thank you, Morrigan."

Morrigan turned towards Cadence at the sound of her voice.

"Yeah, thanks, Morrigan," said Lambeth.

Morrigan shook her head. "I couldn't have done it without Hawthorne." She looked towards Hawthorne who had a smug smile on his face. Morrigan yawned.

"Looks like I need to get someone home. Come on, you lot. I'll take you back to the Deucalion and you can go home through Mog's Wunsoc door." Jupiter walked over to the children and put Morrigan onto his back, piggybacking her.

As they started to walk into the night, Morrigan felt sleep overcome her, however she before she did fall asleep, she whispered to Jupiter.

"I love you, Jupiter. So much."

Jupiter turned his head to kiss her on the cheek.

"I love you more, Mog. With all my heart."

791 words