33

"I'm sorry, bubs, but you can't promise me that that isn't exactly what's going to happen."
"Give it time, Gracie. You'll see."
My phone rang, allowing me to avoid what Griffin was saying.

"Hello?"
"Hey, Gracie. My mom said that you never made it back, and I was just making sure that you were okay."
Oh, yeah. "Yeah, I'm fine. I had Griffin come pick me up so I could talk to him. I knew that he would get me calmed down. We're finishing up here, and I'll be back soon. Thanks for worrying about me, Noah," I replied before hanging up.

Griffin heard my end of the conversation and stood up from the table. "Let's go."
We drove to Noah's house in silence. When he pulled into the driveway, he turned the key in the ignition. "What are you doing?"
"I love you, Gracie. I want you to remember that, and I want you to remember that all of our friends love you, too. I will see you at school tomorrow. Please get some rest," he said, leaning over to hug me.
"I love you, too, Griff. I'll see you tomorrow."

When I walked inside of Noah's house, he was waiting at the table for me. "Are you feeling better?" he asked, standing up and crossing the room to hug me.
"Yeah. Addison got to me, but I said some pretty awful stuff, too. I would call her, but I know that she's definitely not ready to talk to me yet. I'll talk to her tomorrow morning at school. Right now, I just really need to take a shower and head to bed. Thank you for everything, Noah. I appreciate it."
"Well," he said, kissing the top of my head, "it's the least that I could do for my girlfriend."
I smiled into his chest. I was really starting to like the sound of his voice calling me his girlfriend.

I got into the shower and let the warm water cascade over my shoulders. Today had been a rollercoaster of events and emotions, and between it all, I felt like I was losing my mind. When I got out, I wrapped myself in a towel and looked in the mirror. My cheeks were still tearstained, and my eyes were bloodshot. My lips were chapped, and I felt the beginnings of a migraine.
I changed into some pajamas, getting into the bed in the guest room. My fight with Addison replayed itself in my head as I drifted off to sleep.

My alarm went off, and I groaned. My favorite thing about breaks from school was getting to sleep in. I dressed in jeans and a crop top before heading out of the guest room with all of my belongings. "Hey, Noah, can I borrow your keys real quick? I want to put all of this in the car."
He tossed them to me, and I headed outside. As I closed the trunk, I heard a car pull up behind me.
"Hey, Grace. Can we talk?" Addison asked, getting out of Bryce's front seat.
"Um, yeah. I would like that a lot. I was gonna find you when we got to school, but now is even better."
"I need to apologize for my behavior yesterday. It was inappropriate of me to bring that up, especially at dinner in front of everyone," she said, stepping closer to me.
"I was in the wrong, too, Addi. I need to apologize, too. We've been friends for way too long to want to give it up over a boy," I said, taking a step closer and wrapping her in a hug.
"Griffin told me that you think I'm going to abandon you when I get to LSU, and I want you to know that there is no way that I would ever do that. It's you and me against the world for the rest of our lives, whether you like it or not," she said, pulling out of the hug.
"I know, Addi. I think that I was just being dramatic. I think that Noah and I were just about to head out, so I'll see you at school, okay?"

She got back in Bryce's car, and I went back inside the house as they pulled out of the driveway.
"How did talking to Addison go?" Noah asked, catching his keys as I threw them back to him.
"Oh, you saw that, huh?" I replied, grabbing the toast that his mom was holding out to me.
"Yeah, I did. Did you guys make up?
"Yeah, I think we did," I said, taking a bite of my toast. "Should we get going?"
He nodded, hugging his mom. "Bye, Mama."
"Thank you again for letting me stay. I really appreciate it," I thanked her again as Noah stood by the door.

"Do you have plans after school?" he asked as he drove.
I shook my head. "No, I don't think so. Why?"
"I was thinking that maybe we could spend some time together this afternoon. I haven't had a chance to just be with you since we made up."
"Oh, yeah? Do you want to do our homework? Leave a little room for Jesus while Griff is at baseball conditioning?" I teased.
We pulled into the parking lot, and he turned the key in the ignition before leaning over to whisper in my ear. "I was hoping that we could finish what we started yesterday." He planted kisses down my jawline before tilting my chin to kiss my lips.
I giggled at how forward he was being. "I like this side of you, Noah, but right now, we have to go to class. We can't be late on the first day of the semester."
He groaned before getting out of the car and walking around the side to open my door.

When we walked into the school, Noah and I stopped at my locker, starting a conversation with Griffin and Dixie.
"Good morning, Griff, Dix," I said, spinning the lock on my locker. "What class do you guys have first?"
"Calculus," Dixie sighed.
"Biology," Griffin replied.
I nodded as Noah answered. "Econ."
"How did I end up in art?" I joked.
The bell rang, and we headed our separate ways.