46. The Malfoy Yule Ball

A/N Bit of a time jump here but I know a lot of you wanted some Draster(?) moments. Let's just say this is a bit of foreplay before the big event ;)

Draco's POV

"Draco sweetheart, please stop fidgeting"

I shot my mother a glare. She was lucky I was even wearing these awful dress robes. I was able to convince her to let me wear something a little bit more modern, the robes she picked out for me where drab and oddly muggle-like. 

She had been rushing around the Manor all day, flustering in her flouncy olive green dress. Since 8am this morning, I had shut off all emotions and thoughts. I dreaded the Yule Ball, and this year it was just going to be ten times worse.

"Ok, now stand there while we greet people. Make sure you shake their hands and don't cower" My father hissed at me, brushing down his own dark dress robes and coming to stand next to me.

I kept my eyes on the vast iron double doors, they were flung open and letting a blistering cold breeze in.

"When the Carrows get here, we need to move to my study. We need to talk about your task"

I nodded robotically.

Guests started to arrive, various pureblood families, a few half-bloods that were only invited because of their positions in the ministry. Pansy arrived with her parents, this time not donning a bright pink gown but a more elegant satin dress. She looked older, her dark hair was cut shorter and it made her look ever the more intimidating. Her mother gave me two wet kisses on my cheeks and clucked about how handsome I looked. It took everything in me not to glare at Pansy when she agreed. Instead, I simply looked through as if she was transparent. I had no time for this game.

Montague, Crabbe and Goyle all arrived shortly after, clapping me on the back and begging me to join them once I had finished with the formalities. It was tradition for us boys to head towards the back of the ballroom and hide amongst the mammoth stone pillars and drink ourselves into oblivion. The only thing I looked forward to.

Then the Carrows strolled in.

Brother and sister, and both as fucking crazy as the other.

They were both stocky, stubby and oily looking. The glares that they had plastered on their faces made my thoughts slip and a huge rush of disgust and anxiety raced through my head.

I quickly focused and shut off my mind using occlumency. I wasn't sure if these too maniacs were proficient in the art but I wasn't taking any chances.

---

The meeting was short. My father treated me like an imbecile the whole time, consistently acting like I was completely inept at the task the Dark Lord had assigned me.

The siblings were just as dumb as I thought, but their ambition was unmatched. I had to remember to not get on their bad side.

"Mate! Malfoy!"

Montague called me over as I reached the ballroom, they were all hanging behind the large pillars at one corner, goblets in their hands, no doubt spiked.

I was not in the mood for this.

"Hey did you see Pansy?" Montague preened, straightening his plain dress robes as he watched Parkinson twirl round as she danced.

I shrugged uninterestedly. Instead, I watched the rest of the guests, scanning their faces and watching them mingle. 

"Dude she looks fucking amazing, definitely will have to make a move later" he slurs.