Chapter 23 (Final Chapter)

Megamind rushed Hal without hesitation, swinging both mechanical gauntlets at him. One hit his chest, but the one with the sharp wheel broke on impact with Hal's face, causing Megamind to accidentally punch with his own hand. He let out a shaky, pained, and most likely unintended laugh, and as you saw his hand shake a bit you cringed sympathetically.

"Bet you think it's really funny, huh?" Hal hissed, grabbing Megamind's arm and sending him flying into one of the nearby cars, making him lose both gauntlets in the process.

Roxanne whispered for you to stay back and ran forward, most likely going to try to find some way to distract Hal. You didn't know what else to do, so you chose to wait... for now at least.

"Let's all laugh at the really cool guy, huh?" Hal continued, proceeding to use his laser eyes to try finishing Megamind off, but the alien was slick and used his jetpack to slip away at the last second.

"Well, you're not gonna be laughing for long." Hal concluded.

Suddenly, Roxanne called out: "Hey! Remember that night that I dumped you?"

"You're bringing this up now?" You heard Megamind ask, leaping over Hal's laser vision at the same time, not to mention he'd also thrown a scooter and caused a car to explode near him beforehand. 

Both Megamind and you were confused, but as you stared forward you saw what appeared to be the silhouette of a car behind Megamind.

"The invisible car!" You smiled, understanding what the clever reporter was getting at.

"Well, I did look back!" She continued, and for some reason Hal paid her no mind, still throwing cars and other nearby objects at Megamind.

"You did?!" The smile on Megamind's face made your heart melt. If this were happening at any earlier point in time you probably would've been jealous, but right here, right now... you just felt relieved. Roxanne cared for him the same as you, there was no reason left to see her as the enemy. 

She was on your side.

"Yes! And you should look back--right now!" Roxanne insisted.

It took a second for him to actually do so, but once he did he said: "Ohh, I get it!" and rushed to fly over there, but Hal didn't miss a beat.

Using his laser vision, he rid Megamind of his jetpack with ease. He crashed onto the road, and just as he was about to run instead, Hal flew over and pinned him down with his foot. He grabbed him by the fabric of his outfit and shouted:

"This is the last time you make a fool out of me!"

He reeled his arm back, but Megamind showed no fear, instead, he chose to taunt Hal instead.

"I made you a hero... you did the fool thing, all by yourself."

Hal didn't like his choice of words one bit, and launched poor Megamind towards the building nearby. The impact was enough to crack the wall, and Megamind groaned in pain before crawling his way to the car. Roxanne had found a nearby sign and was rushing to try and fight Hal off, or at the very least distract him like you'd first assumed, but you knew it would only get her hurt in the end.

You couldn't stand to watch this, there had to be something you could do... but what?

You looked around and tried to find something, anything you could use to interfere, and after a few seconds... you spotted a small, white spray-can rolling across the cement.

"How ironic." You held back an eye-roll and rushed to snatch it up, giving it a good shake. Thankfully there was still paint in it, so there was a small chance this improvised plan would work. Without any further delay, you took off towards the clown in tights.