The Forsaken, part twelve

12. Thinking light on her feet, Ilaria doused the Marquis' face in wine from a chalice on the table, giving Ennio enough time to run and make an escape with Ilaria. Little did they know the Marquis was on the hunt for them in a fiery rage. Ilaria and Ennio decided to split up, with Ennio heading for the beach, and Ilaria egging on the Marquis to follow her to the ruins of an old coastal guard tower set beside a tall chalk cliff. Chunks of masonry rested beside creeping vines on the hulking structure as Ilaria ran all the way to the top, only for the Marquis to continue running at her, even when she held onto the side of a rampart to trip him over the side of the cliff to his own fate. 

With the Marquis having fallen to his untimely death, Ilaria reunited with Ennio on the beach, but from the obscurity of the night came a large dark galleon ship that came to stop on the beach beside Ilaria and Ennio. Ennio immediately swam to the ship and scaled its side, despite the objections of Ilaria to stay away from creepy night ships. She wondered why a ship of this size would be out on the open ocean in the dead of twilight, but for the sake of Ennio, she too swam across and clambered onto the top deck, where she decided to take a much-needed slumber while Ennio continued to scour the ship for any sign of life or valuables.