The Damned, part seven

7. Ennio thought of making a pre-emptive charge while the snake was hissing in its sleep, but his random shouting and running awoke the snake from its slumber and made it bite him in one single pounce. Ennio then lay on the floor in agony while the snake recoiled back into its sleep. The bite wound looked dire, meaning Ennio did not have long before he would succumb to the venom. Ilaria knew it was up to her so she could spare the same fate from befalling the rest of the team. She formed Vico, Nonna Piazza and Julian into a diversionary hunting party that would buy Ilaria enough time to retrieve the apple, take the antivenom viral and free the captive woman from her cage. Ilaria took the charge, shouting loud enough to awaken the snake once again and bring it against the newcomers. 

Julian held onto the snake's head while the Vico and Nonna began to stab at its vulnerable sides before Ilaria leapt over the snake's hide to the inner den of the tree. She scaled its bark, grabbing the antivenom vial and plucking the golden apple from its branch. Ilaria then crawled along the tree to the wooden cage of the woman, using a crude stone pick knife to cut at the rope holding the cage to the tree, until it smashed onto the upper roots of the tree.

 The woman stood up from the ruins of her confinement and simply vanished in a puff of white light away from the scene without even a word to say to her saviors. Ilaria sped back over the struggling snake to the dying Ennio and doused the bite wounds in antivenom. Julian used his giant bronze fist to punch the snake in the head, which combined with the persistent stabbing of Vico and Nonna to kill the creature.