The Redeemed, part six

6. The witch and the Enforcer created the necessary diversion needed for Ilaria to bolt down the stairs and find Vico, who was the original owner of the book, so he could read out a spell that could destroy the Devil. He had flipped through its pages several times before and had come across incantations that could be used to kill the Devil if he walked among the mortals, for if he were in any other realm, he would be too powerful to stop. However, in the mortal realm, the Devil was just as weak and vulnerable as anyone else, a cunning trap that he had never seen coming.

 Ilaria returned to the roof with Vico just as the Devil had suspended the witch and the Enforcer and was about to kill all three of his captives when Vico took the codex and began to cast spells on the Devil. The words Vico spoke was enough to completely destroy the Devil in two flashes of red thunder, one that vaporized the Devil, and another that struck Vico down to the floor. The thunderbolt was followed by the dissipation of the red cloud cover over Scala, the marvel of which made the French call for a retreat back to the ships and out to sea, away from the blunder at Scala. Julian was left to re-join the group, who had gathered on the roof around Ilaria, who cradled her brother in her arms.