The Redeemed, part seven

7. With his dying breath, Vico apologized for what he had done to his sister and giving back the crown jewels he had stolen from his pocket before Ilaria forgave him. The land fell silent as another royal met his end too soon, or soon enough. The group were stunned to find a red hue fall over Vico's body, lifting him into the air and changing him. His eyes morphed to a bright red, and his robes changed from dark green to maroon for a suit similar to the one the Devil had worn before him. Vico stood on his own two feet, revived and transformed. Ilaria embraced her brother, who returned the favor in turn. 

The Enforcer and Julian both bowed to Vico, proclaiming him as the new king of Hell and all who stood beneath him. Ilaria was hesitant in letting Vico accept such a role, but he reassured her that he was looking forward to it. Why be the king of a small island in the middle of the ocean, when you could be the king of an entire world?. Ilaria found reason in his madness as this was the royal position he had desired for so long. Vico bid farewell to his sister before embracing his new power and rode on Julian back down into the underworld. The Enforcer too said goodbye to Ilaria and Ennio and returned to the Otherworld with the witch, who could now pass on to paradise, leaving the queen and her new friend to tower over the ruined kingdom on which they stood. 

Ennio took out his arms to surrender to the queen, but she refused to see him in chains, even if he was the wanted fugitive who had started it all. Ilaria instead issued him with a royal pardon and a post as one of her senior advisors to help rebuild the kingdom and government. The queen descended out of the palace to re-join her subjects on the streets while Ennio retrieved her crown. The peasant in command then bestowed it on his queen while a large crowd of surviving citizens gathered by the destroyed palace gates to clap and cheer for their queen's happy return to power. And so, ended the fiasco at Scala, on a sunny day in the middle of town.

Copyright © published by C.Lmauve, 2020.

All rights reserved. No part of this work may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the publisher.