The Forsaken, part fourteen

14. In town, the witch who had been banished from king Vico's court roamed across the heavily policed streets where people regularly scattered and scuttled into the shadows like rats. The lone enchantress was not the only one out in the daylight. The scrappy and zany village fool, with his dirty rags and top hat, walked over to the witch. She decided the fool could be useful to her, as he agreed Vico was bad news for the kingdom. 

The witch and the fool, as odd as they may have been, each maintained enough sanity to form an alliance that could pose a challenge to Vico's reign on par with the return of Ilaria. The witch managed to cast a spell that transported them across town, past the guards onto the palace grounds. She then took the fool inside the royal halls towards the throne room, where they could hear king Vico talking to the Devil. The royal meeting was rudely interrupted by the diversion of a dancing fool that allowed the witch to infiltrate the sanctuary unseen.

 The Devil turned his back briefly to find the witch lunging at him, while the fool barricaded the door with a banner pole before he bundled Vico to the floor. Bolts of fire and energy blasted from the Devil and the witch as Vico fist fought the fool. After more than half an hour of struggling, the Devil and Vico slew the witch and the fool as their exhaustion proved to be their downfall. As the two bodies were disposed from the throne room, Vico proclaimed victory to his near-invincible status as king. 

One thing still perplexed him though. What was the Devil's price?, what exactly did he desire from Vico?. The mad king was about to ask his counterpart for his true longing but was stopped by the sudden boom from the front gardens. Vico and the Devil saw several cannonballs making craters on the manicured grounds, traced back to three dark ships out on the not too distant waterfront. Vico immediately called to his guards to prepare a counterattack, but when he took a look through a royal spyglass as to who was attacking his capital, he felt a chill on his spine upon the sight of Ilaria's face on one of the ships.