The Redeemed, part five

5. Ilaria sped up the staircases to the roof in order to save Ennio but instead came face to face with the Devil once again. He was keeping Ennio as a hostage by suspending him from several feet in the air from which he was unable to move. The Devil then moved to attack Ilaria. The queen's swipes and prods were met by different spells from Vico's codex, designed to toy with her and force her submission to the Devil. In her angst to finish off the dark one, Ilaria called up the Enforcer, who displaced through the solid roof and grabbed both the queen and the Devil, transporting them to the white nothingness of the Otherworld to duke it out amongst themselves. 

The spellcasting and sword slamming dragged on until the Devil caught sight of the witch he had killed in the mortal world, still in her red dress and wanting to exact her revenge. She had been sent to the Otherworld because she had some unfinished business that she needed to take care of before she could pass on into the afterlife peacefully. The witch then joined in the fight against the Devil before the Enforcer transported all of them back to the mortal world, atop the royal palace. The Devil retained the codex, but it was quickly snatched out of his claws by Ilaria. She scrambled through the pages but realized that she could not read the Arabic scriptures. She did however know someone who could.