The Damned, part twelve

12. Ilaria kept the sword as the third Tool of the Trade, then hitched a ride on the Enforcer's back over the fiery creek. The two returned, only to find the rest of the group fighting a band of greedy red demons. Ilaria put her newly won sword to good use in smiting the demons and forcing them to scatter across the tunnel. This had been just one of the groups who had heard the Devil's notice calling for a reward to anyone who could kill a sentinel giant who was scampering around Hell with a band of humans. The team was reunited after the brawl, and even yet, Ilaria remained suspicious of her brother Vico's true intentions. 

What would he do when they got back to the human world?,  would his allegiance to the team last long enough?. All she could do was wait and see what tricks he had up his sleeves. Ilaria explained her plight to Ennio, who promised to stand by her if her brother tried any more funny business as they continued their noble quest through the underworld. Travelling further down one of the enormous tunnels of Hell, Julian revealed the final Tool of the Trade. This was destined for Nonna Piazza, who still required a Tool in order to be eligible for passage back to the mortal world with the others.

 Inside a smaller hole bored into the side of the tunnel was a single glowing light. It was a crystal ball that had once belonged to a wizard, with the ability to summon select items from the future. Nonna entered the dark chamber, which maintained the glowing crystal ball atop a pedestal of rock. Ennio worried for the safety of his grandmother, but she managed to take the ball. Suddenly, the walls started to collapse around her in the chamber, making it a mad dash out before a cave-in. The chamber must have been set with a boobytrap to destroy it in case someone came to take the ball. 

The smaller tunnel broke down into a pile of rubble, but with the help of the team who heard her voice, Nonna Piazza came out with her life and the ball as she was picked out of the rock pile by Julian. The last of the Tools of the Trade they needed had been obtained. When they were all brought to within a distance of one another, the violin, apple, sword and ball all began to rumble and glow wildly, sending the entire team back to the mortal world. 

Julian and the Enforcer were also in attendance with the mortals, now reborn in the midst of classical Greek temple ruins in the center of the isle of Scala. Ilaria looked out upon her former domain, with its perpetual red sky set above plumes of fire and the screams of lust and insanity. The situation was very grave indeed for the misfits. They needed to retake the burning ruins of the kingdom from the grasp of the king of all evils. Ilaria rallied the group, who climbed onto Julian and made their way back to the capital to confront the Devil on their home turf.