9

The glissening stars above me looked so close, yet so far away. Ironically, in that moment– is exactly how I had felt.

I was completely engrossed in the idea of the sky completely swallowing me whole so that hopefully, one day, that I would too be a twinkling star shining about everyone down below, so peaceful in the thought.

"AJ, you space out so much i'm starting to think your on some harsh drugs."

I roll onto my side to scowl at Carter, the others watching with amusement, quiet chuckles filling the air.

After grabbing some dinner for the night, Nora thought it would be perfect to go to our local kid's park.

Why? I have no idea.

I personally still think she has the mind of a 6 year old but, whatever keeps her amused.

But all through the time we have been here, the boys have not stopped talking about the waitress that served us tonight, and with their ego's, it seemed more like a competition rather than a conversation.

Not helping the situation as Noah had slyly gotten her number and the other boys have not stopped gloating about it, whilst he just sits there, one sly smirk on his face boasting in all his glory.

So of course, Nora, Violet and myself have been trying to avoid any snarky comments that would threaten to slip from our mouths.

Boys will be boys, that's the unfortunate saying right?

"Because I can never get a little peace and quiet around you guys, so I make do." I groan as I join back into their conversation, luckily the topic had changed.

Carter swung his arm around my shoulders playfully.

"I'm just tired, speaking of which–I'm going back." I stand up as they begin to plea for me to stay a little longer.

"AJ, stay. We have no classes until 1 tomorrow so there is plenty of time for sleep!" Nora grabs my hand and starts to tug but I groan in annoyance.

"I'd love to Nor' but, I actually have class at 11 and I still have to study for that exam next week." My face shows a sincere sorry expression and she scowls at me as if saying

"I can't believe you're leaving me here with these, imbeciles."

"Please—stay! I will be your best friend." She holds my arm as she stays seating on the ground and I look down to my roommate who seems desperate for me to stay and I chuckle at her pleading.

"You already are my best friend, And I still need sleep."

I smile smally at her as I grab my bag that was still on the ground.

"You know, I better get going too." Noah's voice startles me and I turn around to face him.

He notices my confused expression and rolls his eyes.

"We have the same English course. Remember?" His taunting stare made me roll my eyes at his comment from before I deepen my scowl and the slight laughs erupt around the circle.

Pick on the girl who is lacking sleep.

I roll my eyes and wave good bye to the others, not bothering with my usual sarcastic comment, tiredness growing over me.

I walk out of the park, my footsteps dragging against the concrete path.

I start to hear footsteps behind me and a tall body shows up beside me quicker than I could blink.

"You know, it's not safe to walk by yourself this late at night." His cheeky smile shows up across his face and my heart thumps faster, with what felt like anticipation.

"I can take care of myself." I fold my arms across my chest with a huff, trying to fight back a small smirk.

I am an independent woman, I can take care of myself. I did karate for two weeks when I was 7!

Okay maybe I'm not the strongest person.

But how would he know that, he only knows me as the girl in the friend group who sucks at relationships.

I look towards him and he shakes his head slowly, muttering a small "sure."

Silence evelops around us, but not the entirely awkward kind, the comforting peaceful silence, which I'm thankful for, seeing as my mind hasn't stopped racing since the conversation with Adam.

An instant pang towards my heart ruptures through my chest and I swallow back any pain that Adam left me with.

"You look like your about to throw up." I turn to Noah, and roll my eyes at his slightly humoured expression.

"As much as that would be incredibly amusing to you, I'm fine." I do my best to shrug it off, what little information he knows about me is the way to a good friendship.

His eyes stay trained on my face for a while, as if trying to figure out all my secrets, searching every inch of my face. My expression doesn't change, finally looking away, I change the subject.

"So, are you going to call that waitress?" I ask casually, saying the first thing that popped into my head.

It just had to be that! They only just finished speaking about it finally and here I am bringing it back to surface.

He chuckles before placing his hands in his jacket pockets, the breeze growing colder as the night gets later.

"Maybe, If she's lucky." He wiggles his eyebrows and I scoff towards him.

"Pig." I push him slightly and chuckle as he loses his balance slightly, scowling at me whilst I laugh at his clumsiness.

"Don't look now but someones sounding a little, jealous."

He should fit in well with that level of cockiness.

"Oh completely! Noah—oh Noah! I could ever be so lucky for you to pay attention to me! Please." I smile towards him as I begin to walk backwards, right in front of him.

He wiggles his eyebrows and I grimace towards him, he picks now to not get my obvious sarcasm.

"It's a joke Braveheart—" My words cut short as I bump into someone behind me, Noah grabbing my arm a little too late.

I mentally curse myself at how incredibly clumsy I am and instantly start apologising to the person I had ran into.

"Oh, well if it isn't princess herself!" Her menacing voice taunted me as the high pitch vocals squealed through my ears, an obvious smile was planted on her face, so sickeningly sweet it could cause a damn cavity.

Now I definitely wish the sky would swallow me whole.