6

It's not abnormal for Violet to stay over when my mother is out of town.

And if you ever, and I mean ever, have to share a bed with her, you will understand why I am up at 6am in the morning with a sore back, eating cereal at my kitchen bench whilst she sleeps peacefully in my bed.

Never.

Again.

With a bitter look planted on my face, I mumble in a small whisper of incoherent swear words.

I suddenly hear footsteps jogging down the stairs and Violet, with all of her sleep suddenly evaded, grabs a bowl of cereal herself and plops down on the seat beside me, a cereal filled grin planted on her face.

I scowl at her and she rolls her eyes.

I was not a ray of sunshine today.

"Ok, I understand you think I don't share the bed but no one else I have ever shared a bed with seems to think so."

Violet says with a small shrug and I roll my eyes at her.

"Vi, the only other person you have shared a bed with were people you slept with, and I think you know why they wouldn't be complaining."

I shake my head at her as I place my bowl in the sink before darting my gaze onto her guilty body with a hand on my hip, her face not even bothering to fight back, as you could see that I had the obvious upper hand in this argument.

"Anyways Vi, we go back to classes on Wednesday, So I say we should take advantage of the time we have left off."

I change the subject as this is basically our argument each morning we wake up after a sleepover we have had together.

"Sounds great! What did you have in mind? Tanning? Going to the beach? Oh! What abo-"

Before Violet was able to choke out her rambling of many plans she had planted into her head, a large crack of thunder boomed from above and the sound of rain started to rattle onto the roof and drop down the window glass slowly, making me look at her with a small shrug.

Of course, on our first proper day off together this summer vacation, it rains.

Typical.

"Movie day it is!" Her voice laced with clear of relief and shock at the same time, seeing as the thunder had made her jump so high she basically touched the roof.

Okay, maybe not but you catch my drift.

Sophie at the sound of the thunder runs down the stairs before crashing into the side of my body, clearly terrified of the weather outside the house.

"Soph, your job is to save us both from Vi's horrible taste in movies, I will grab the snacks."

I speak softly to my clearly scared little sister before she nods eagerly and scurries off into the living room with Violet soon to be bickering over some movie that's better than the others choice, which would then lead to me having to pick.

When did I turn into a mother?