3

You know how when you're taking that "Huge Final Exam" and your totally stressing out?

Wondering if you have studied the right notes, got enough knowledge of the questions? Even brought enough pens in case the first three ran dry?

Or even just, first date jitters?

Letting yourself be self-conscious about how you look and hope to all the gods that you do not do anything stupid or embarrass yourself in any way?

Noticing the trickles of anxiety flutter through your body.

That's how I felt when I bumped into Carter, nervous.

My mind went into complete overdrive.

Carter and Violet only have a brief understanding of my situation with Chris, not the full extent but, just enough for them to have an easy mind.

My mind seemed to be searching through files inside to come up with a good enough excuse as to why I was out at night like this.

He's my best friend! Why can't I just tell him my issues?

Or at least come up with a decent lie?!

Just say something, you idiot!

Carter seemed to notice my stalling, along with my defensive nature.

I notice his eyes flicker to my arms, myself intently holding onto my injured arm, I tried to hide the slightly bruised forearm but, unfortunately for me, Carter seemed to catch on.

He physically tensed and his face turned hard and I could almost see steam seething through his nose with anger.

Quickly, he whisked me away into his arms with a protective, brotherly gesture, almost as if he were hiding me from any harm as we continued down the street in silence.

The tension was suffocating as our pace had slowed, still keeping a close contact with me, I could see Carter physically relax as he sees me share a small, reassuring smile with him.

"So, Carter. What are you doing out here this late?"

My tone of voice, playful and curious, not only trying to spark a conversation to relieve the awkward tension to avoid the question I knew he was dying to ask me, but the curiosity of his plans burned a question into my mind.

We slowly walk along the pavement, his shiny, Hazel eyes glistening in the moonlight, He brings his lips into his mouth and slowly smirks.

"Honestly? That's the line you use?"

He whispers lowly as he slings his arm around my shoulders and we turn a corner and are soon standing out the front of his, tall house.

He opens the garage doors to see his own 'Man cave' as he likes to describe it.

Even though each time I like to remind him, he's barely a man and for this to be a man cave, no women were allowed in, yet it seems to be only myself and Violet in here mostly.

Then he would just roll his eyes and call me stupid, mature.

I take a seat on the small couch as I usually do each time I'm over and just stare at his roof, my mind quieting down compared to earlier.

"Does your Mom know you're out?"

I turn to look at Carter as he stares at me intently, playing with his lip once more.

"I have no idea, she was taking care of Soph as I left so."

I said with a sigh in my tone and he slowly nods, not letting his gaze slip off me.