Chapter 19: Overheard

Warnings: Fighting, angst

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A few days later, Virgil was walking around the castle when he heard muffled talking from the throne room. Being curious, he leaned against the wall and listened.

"I don't understand why you're upset with me, father.." it was Roman, talking with the king. Virgil frowned a little, tilting his head.
"You marked a human, Roman, without a second thought!" Romulus says, arms crossed. "Like you didn't do the same! Father, you know that's what happens when we love someone!" Roman responded.

"But you didn't know if he would even commit to being a vampire at the time, you were just too caught up in yourself!" Romulus growled. "Excuse me? I'm sorry that I couldn't control an instinct that even you couldn't, father. You probably marked her before you knew either!" Roman argued.
"She is exactly the reason you should have thought about it, Roman!" Romulus shouted.

Virgil bit his lip a little. ‘I shouldn't be listening...’ he thought, but regardless, stays put.

"Why are you so mad at me?? It happened months ago!" Roman says. "I'm not mad at you, Roman, I am worried!.. I don't want you to have to go through the pain of losing a life mate.. It hurts, Roman, more than you could possibly know.." Romulus responds, looking away.
"Virgil isn't.. He won't... Be like that, father.." Roman responds, frowning slightly. Romulus sighs softly. "I know.. Apologies." he says, starting to walk away.

"Father.." Roman started. Romulus put his hand up in a silencing way. "Leave it alone, Roman." he says, a little teary-eyed as he leaves the room through a different door, away from where Virgil was standing.

Roman sighs softly, staying quiet for a moment before speaking. "You can come in, you know." he says. Virgil jumps a little and made a ‘ah shit’ face before walking in, leaning against the wall after and looking at Roman.
"You knew I was there... How..?" Virgil asks. "Other than being able to smell you, you mean? I also heard your footsteps stop by the door." Roman says, looking over at him.

"W-well.. Your dad didn't seem to notice..." Virgil mumbles, playing with his fingers. "He was overwhelmed.. Our senses dull when we're too hyper-focused on emotions like stress or anxiety, similar to how humans often lose their ability to think rationally when they're in a similar state." Roman says.

"Oh.." Virgil mumbles in response, playing with his hair, which had grown quite a bit; his bangs just about reach the bottom of his chin.
Roman walked over to him, holding Virgil's chin up gently. "You've been doing that more often now, playing with your hair. Is it bothering you?" he asks softly. "Well, a little.. But just cuz I'm not used to having my hair this long.." Virgil mumbles, blushing a little.

"You know you could have asked me or someone here to cut it at any time?" Roman says, brushing Virgil's hair to the side. "W-.. Would you..?" Virgil asks quietly. "Of course." Roman says, taking Virgil's hand and taking him to his room, grabbing the chair from his desk.

"Aren't you.. I dunno, worried about-" Virgil says. "Your hair falling on the floor? Not really. It's my room, I'll clean it. Besides, I've cut some of my own hair in here before, it's fine, love." Roman says, silently gesturing for Virgil to sit down.
"I- so you just have scissors in your room?" Virgil asks, sitting down on the chair with his hands in his lap. "I have quite a few things in my room, Virgil, including a sewing needle now." Roman says, grabbing a pair of scissors from his desk.

"O-oh- right I never returned that-" Virgil said. Roman chuckles softly, standing in front of him. "Do you want it done like it was on September 13th?" he asks. "I'm- sorry what-?" Virgil says. Roman smiles softly. "September 13th is when I found you in the park, my love; it's the night I took you home with me."

"Y-you... Remember the day...? Also to answer your question, yes, just.. Preferably better.. Cuz my friend usually cut my hair in the school bathroom so... Most times it didn't look great.." Virgil mumbles.
Roman nods and started cutting Virgil's bangs back to their original short length, just below his eyes. Virgil closed them out of instinct.

"Of course I remember, I'll never forget the day I met you. You were so unafraid of the dark, and only became mildly scared when I bit you for the first time; you didn't even try to fight back, you let me feed on you. I found that very fascinating about you, my love. Aside from that, you seemed like a kind person, and I'll admit the scent and taste of your blood is quite addicting.." Roman says, continuing to cut Virgil's hair.

"But then you started opening up to me, and I found myself all that more interested in who you were, and what your story was. And the fact that you trusted me despite having no reason to.. It made me feel strange, but in a good way. And the first time I heard your giggle, I could swear the whole world lit up for that moment. Then, our kiss.. The day we started our relationship, almost 6 months ago... I'd never felt anything like that with anyone else before- love. I felt it when my lips touched yours that night. That's how I knew you'd be the one I want.
"And that's why I marked you on your birthday, Virgil; I love you, with every single part of me, and I knew I'd want to spend my life with you." Roman tells him.

Virgil blushes brightly- a blush that had grown as Roman spoke. "W-wow Ro-.. S-so poetic.." he said, just above a whisper. Roman chuckles softly. "It's true, my love."
"I'm so bad at tracking days, and you're over here memorizing every important one-" Virgil says. Roman smiles, finishing with Virgil's hair. "It's a talent, I suppose. Done, by the way; do you want to see it?" Virgil nods a little, brushing stray hairs off his shoulders.

Roman helps him to his feet and motions over to the mirror. "Take a look." Virgil looked in the mirror, smiling a little and running a hand through his hair. "Woah.. Heh, that feels a lot better."
Roman smiles. "Good, I'm glad then." Virgil giggles softly. "Looks a lot better, too- how do you do it so well?" he asks. "Valarie actually taught me; she was cutting Talyn's hair, and you know they usually keep it short." Roman says, shrugging a little.

"I see, well that's cool." Virgil says, going up to Roman and putting his arms around his shoulders. Roman holds him by the waist with a smile. "Well hello there." Virgil smiles back and kisses him softly. Roman kisses back, chuckling a little.