5) A Strange Turn of Events

DISCLAIMER: nope, I still don't own Harry Potter.

-Put Your Records On by Ritt Money

-if we never met by John K

Time - summer going into fifth year

Bright summer light filtered through the white wood on our covered deck as I sit curled up on an old lawn chair reading an old novel that I found hidden in the bookshelves of our living room. I flip absentmindedly through the pages of the book as I hear my mother call my name.

"Nila!" She shouts from inside.

"Yes mum!" I answer.

"Somebody is here to see you!" Curiously, I get up out of the chair and walk into the entrance hall of our small cottage, wondering who could be here to see me. If it was one of my friends from town they would just come into the house to find me. To my surprise I see the hunched posture of Professor Lupin. I smile and rush forward to embrace him in a hug.

"Professor Lupin! What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to bring you to Grimmauld Place." He states excitedly, "and no need to call me Professor, I'm not your teacher anymore," he laughs.

"Grimmauld Place?" I ask him.

"Yes," he leans close with a glance at my mother who shifts awkwardly near the door. "Headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix." I glance quizzically at him.

"Never mind, I will explain when we get there," he glances around, "where is your father?" He asks, I glance at my mother, wondering why he needs to know.

"At work," I respond.

"Hmm, well, you should go pack, I'll wait here" He walks towards my mother and greets her with a smile as I rush up the stairs into my room. I quickly gather my trunk and backpack and throw my books, quills, and various pieces of parchment into it. I then grab clothes from my closet and hastily fold them before stuffing them into my trunk. Then, I grab a fluffy ball of white warmth, Luna, my cat, and place her into her cage along with her food and toys. I haul my belongings down the stairs and walk into the kitchen where Remus sits at the counter talking with my mother.

He turns to me, "ready?" I smile and turn to my mother, we embrace and she waves me goodbye making me promise to write as soon as I get there.

My first impression of Grimmauld Placeis is that it is a lonely, ancient place. I feel horribly for Sirius who had to grow up in the haunted halls. I walk into the kitchen immediately greeted by a whirlwind of red hair and Ginny runs up to hug me.

"Nila! Thank god you're finally here, Ron and the twins are driving me crazy!" The red-head exclaims, suddenly a loud POP and the twins apparate beside Ginny. They both laugh and hug me as Ginny rolls her eyes. Mrs Weasley walks into the kitchen with a groan.

"Fred! Goerge! There is no need to use magic at every possible opportunity!" She scolds before turning to me and embraces me in a tight hug.

"So good to see you, darling, Hermione should be by later and Ron..." She trails off as Ron enters the kitchen snacking on a granola bar.

"Hey, Nila!" He greets me excitedly, Mrs Weasley snatches the granola bar out of his grasps and he turns to her angrily.

"Mum! I was eating that," he groans.

"Yes, but you'll lose your appetite, dinner will be ready soon!" Ginny and I laugh as Ron pouts at his mother.

I look around then turn back towards Ron, "so, what is this place?" I ask the family, Mrs Weasley gives me a small smile.

"We'll explain as soon as Hermione gets here with Tonks." The witch tells as Sirius enters the room.

"Nila! Great to see you!" He gives me a tight hug as we hear a commotion in the hall. A woman starts screeching from the other room.

"MUDBLOODS, FILTH, IN MY SACRED HOME, FILTHY BLOOD TRAITORS!" Sirius hurries to the painting and clumsily closes the curtain.

"Sorry about that, my mother was always a wretched woman." Sirius sighs before turning to Hermione and embracing her in a hug.

"Hi Hermione!" I run up to hug her and she hugs me back.

"Nila, and Ron," Ron blushes as Hermione hugs him, "I missed you guys!" She smiles, "Hi Ginny, Fred, George." She hugs the remaining Weasleys in turn and Sirius leads us into the kitchen. Remus and Tonks smile and wave at us from the table where Molly lays out a delicious spread of baked chicken and other sides. Ron happily grabs a chicken thigh and heaps potatoes onto his plate. Hermione looks at me and we laugh, soon Ginny joins in and Ron glares at us. Sirius hurriedly explains what Grimmauld place is and we are all a little shocked to hear that this used to be Sirius' childhood home. When we learn about The Order of The Phoenix we immediately ask to join, only to be shut down by a very strict Mrs Weasley. I return that night to the room that I am sharing with Ginny and Hermione, a bit pouty as I was denied the chance to join the order.

The next couple weeks pass in a blur of spying on top-secret meetings and cleaning the dusty old house. Eventually we are brought news that Harry was attacked by a dementor and is to finally join us here. Ron, Hermione and I sit in Ron's room waiting for Harry's arrival. He comes through the door in a puff as we bombard him in hugs. When Hermione starts explaining what this place is Harry slowly gets increasingly mad. I feel sympathetic for him, as I would feel the same way if I was held up in an awful house all summer only to find out that my friends were all together, but Hermione just crosses her arms. Harry calms down a bit when we tell him how Dumbledore forbade us from contacting him but I can tell he's still upset and we walk down to dinner.

***

Yay! We finally got to the good parts! I also got to write about Sirius Black (so let's make some prediction, will he die?). Thanks for reading!