21) Games

I wake up cuddled in Draco's arms. We had walked back to the common room in a daze and passed out on the couch. We hadn't talked. I think he's mad at me but he'll just have to deal with it. Because now I'm helping him and there is nothing he can do.

It's a game to him. To Voldemort it's a game. He wants to see how long I'll last. It's a challenge. But I'm going to win. I won the first match, I didn't show any weakness when he gave me the mark. Now Draco and I need to complete the task.

The only problem is that I still don't know what it is.

I shake Draco awake and he sits up his hair standing up in different directions.

"What?" He mumbles rubbing his eyes.

"I need to know what the task is!" I exclaim. He looks at me as if I am crazy. I'm starting to believe I am.

"Nila," he whispers, "I'll take care of the task, you needn't do anything."

"What?" I growl, "No, this is my task now too, you need to tell me what you need to do."

"I-"

"Now," I hiss.

"I need to kill Dumbledore," he whispers.

"What?" I gasp assuming I haven't heard him right.

"I. Have. To. Kill. Dumbledore." He growls. I open my mouth then close it again. He grabs my shoulders, "You don't have to do this, I'm already so close."

"What's your plan?"

***

Draco and I enter the room of requirement and he shows me the cabinet. He shows me the papers that Borgin has sent. The paper includes lists of spells that could possibly work to fix the cabinet. Draco tells me how he has been trying different combinations of spells to try and fix it. He shows me how it works and I start helping him.

After two hours of exhausting work Draco and I go down to the Great Hall for dinner. I now can tell why Draco has been so exhausted lately, the spells are tiring and being in that room drains everything from you. We sit down next to Daphne and Astoria and pile food onto our plates. I notice Draco absently playing with the food and I mouth eat to him. He hastily obliges and takes a small bite of mashed potatoes.

I know he doesn't want to kill Dumbledore, I don't either. That's why I have a plan.

***

That night after dinner I wrap my cloak tightly around me and sneak out of the dorm. I pray that I won't run into anyone and my prayers are answered. I reach the statue of which I know Dumbledore's office lies behind and I knock.

"Password?" The statue asks. I hesitate, Harry once told me that all the passwords were sweets so I try my luck.

"Um, lemon drops," I answer, nothing happens, "fudge flies, pumpkin pasties, cauldron cakes, acid pops," still nothing, "shoot, um, chocolate frogs!" nothing, "fizzing whizbees? Pepper imps?" The statue moves aside revealing a spiral staircase. I hurry up the stairs and pound on the door hoping Dumbledore is here.

"Enter," a deep voice says. I open the door to reveal Dumbledore's office. Many magical instruments litter the room and a large bowl, the pensieve, sits in the center of the room. Paintings of what seem to be previous teachers, or most likely headmasters, litter the walls above Dumbledore's desk. I turn to look at the desk and I see Dumbledore sitting with Snape standing nearby.

"Err, hello Professors," I greet them nervously.

"Hmm, Ms Prewett," Dumbledore begins, "I'm glad you came, please sit." I walk towards the chair on the other side of his desk and sit down. I look up at Snape and meet his approving gaze. Why does he look so pleased to see me? Doesn't he know what I'm here to do?

"Severus was just telling me about Draco and your," he trails off, "shall we call it a predicament?"

I stare at him then Snape, Snape told him? "H-how do you- what?" I stutter.

"Yes dear, Severus informed me how the pair of you have to kill me." He chuckles. I stare at him in shock.

"I-I don't want to, i-it's the only-" I stutter nervously but he cuts me off.

"It's quite ok, I don't believe that you nor Mr Malfoy have it in you to kill somebody." He tells me. For some reason I'm weirdly angered that he doesn't think I have it in me to kill him. I could totally kill him! "Now, what is it that you wanted to ask me?" He asks.

"I just, I wanted to inform you, I thought I could come up for a way to pretend to kill you, but not really do it?" I realize that that didn't make much sense and I rephrase it, "like maybe fake your death?"

"Hmm," Dumbledore scratches his beard in thought, "I suppose that could've worked but Severus and I have already constructed a plan."

"What- you've?" I stare at Snape and he meets my gaze in a challenge, as if to say 'are you going to betray me'? I break away from his gaze, I'm not going to betray him. I hear him let out a breath and I turn back to Dumbledore.

"Yes, now, you and Mr Malfoy will go about your plans, Severus and I will deal with the rest of it." He says.

"But-" He cuts me off before I can continue.

"Goodnight Ms Prewett," he stands up. I stand up as well and make my way towards the door.

"Night," I mumble frustrated. Why is this a game to everyone? It's not a game to me. Why can't Dumbledore just tell me what his plan is?

I hiss at a first year who nearly runs into me and I stalk the rest of the way back to the common room.

***

Whoah! This book is going so fast! 

We are nearing the end, I'm guessing around ten more chapters?

Again, thank you so much for reading and please vote/comment!