26) Birthdays and Bad Days

"Wake up, love." Somebody shakes me and I turn over groaning, "Nila, wake up." I groan and sit up seeing Draco looming over me with a huge grin.

"What time is it?" I grumble, rubbing my eyes.

"Around four."

"In the morning?" I lay back down, "bye Draco, I'm sleeping."

"Nila! It's your birthday, I have a surprise for you." Draco shakes me again and I sit up with a groan, "come on, get something warm on, we are going outside." I sigh and figure there's no point in arguing, I mean who wants to sleep in on their birthday anyway? Draco tosses me my Slytherin sweatshirt and I throw it on over my silk pajama top and shorts. He leads me downstairs and out of the house. We walk down the cobblestone path that leads up to the gigantic manor and as soon as we exit the iron gates Draco takes my hand and we apparate away.

My apparate to the bottom of a giant hill and I realize that Malfoy Manor sits grandly atop the hill. On the flat plain that soon joults down into a valley lies a gorgeous lake that reflects the rising sun. I turn to see that Draco is spreading out a picnic blanket and food and I sit next to him.

"I figured we could use a bit of a distraction to what is going on up there," Draco sighs. I smile and lean my head on his.

"Thank you Draco," I whisper, "it's beautiful." He grins in return and hands me a biscuit. I spread jam on it and take a bite. The sky turns red, then orange, then a soft pink as the sun rises over the lake.

"Happy Birthday, Nila," Draco whispers. I turn and kiss him softly. He bring me into a hug and kisses the top of my head, "may there be many more." I hope there will be many more with you, Draco dear. 

***

The distraction did not last long as the next day Voldemort received news that Harry, Hermione, and Ron broke into Gringotts. Voldemort was in a furry, he yelled at Bellatrix and tortured countless Goblins that were there that day. The rest of us steered clear of him and stayed in our rooms most of that day. That night he and the rest of the death eaters visit us for dinner.

I slip on a plain silk dress and some tights and fasten my cloak around my neck. I pull on my black flats and snake ring. I decide to pull my hair back into a low bun and I make my way down the stairs. Only the inner-circle death eaters are allowed at these meetings and most of them already sit at the table, Voldemort at the head. The only people missing are Snape, Narcissa and I. I sit next to Draco and soon Narcissa hurries into the room with the house elf and the food. She places the platter on the table and we pile food onto our plates. Nobody says a word. Like most times the death eaters gather, nobody says anything until Voldemort does. Voldemort has said nothing so therefore we say nothing. I also notice that Voldemort does not eat.

After dinner dessert comes to the table and, still, nobody speaks. Eventually I look towards Draco and he flashes me a small smile. Suddenly a blue light fills the room and a doe patronous enters the room.

"Harry Potter is at Hogwarts," is all it says before it disappears. Voldemort stands up and Nagini slither close to him.

"We leave at once," Voldemort instructs us. Draco grabs my hand and we follow the other death eaters out into the night.

***

THE BATTLE OF HOGWARTS!!!! 

The rest of the story will have one more chapter illustrating the battle and there will be one epilouge chapter talking about Nila's life after.