My Side of the River

Taissa's P.O.V.

"TAISSA?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE EARLY? I..I thought you were coming at 10." Dylan, my boyfriend or now EX-boyfriend, exclaims while covering his naked body and the slut he is sleeping with.

"WELL, I GOT FIRED. I THOUGHT MAYBE MY BOYFRIEND WOULD CHEER ME UP, BUT OH BOY, I WAS WRONG. FUCK YOU. DON'T SPEAK TO ME AGAIN." I ran out of his Hoboken apartment as fast as I could. This is why I stay on my side of the river, I think to myself.

Good thing I always carry a pair of sunglasses with me, because I was bawling my eyes out and I can't let that show on public transportation. That's the perfect opportunity for creeps to swoop in.

As I was getting on the bus back to Manhattan, I notice someone following me. Hmm, probably just going on the same bus. But, it was dark, so I speed up. So does he.

"MISS!" The stranger yelled.

It's just him and I on this dark road. There's no way I'm stopping now.

"Excuse me, Miss!"

Almost there; I am running now.

I feel a strongly grip grab me. "Miss! You dropped your phone back there! Here"

Well, now I feel stupid.

"Thank You... Sorry I'm in a rush. Gotta catch the bus." I'm also wearing sunglasses.... at 8:30pm. I must look like a mess. Well, I am one.

"No problem, Miss."

Why does he keep calling me Miss? I flash a smile at him and speed walk towards the bus station. And, of course, I just missed it.

This day couldn't get any worse. I got fired from my job of three years because "I'm not what the team is looking for." Yeah, more like I wouldn't sleep with the boss and now he's pissed about it.

~The next morning~

I get up at 9am and make my self a big cup of coffee. I bring out my laptop and search for job openings near me.

Dog walker- no

Cashier at McDonalds-absolutely not

Secretary for Corporate Administrator-not again.

Beauty Salon Secretary- that sounds good. Oh in Queens? No.

Receptionist at a Physical Rehabilitation Facility- hm, that could be interesting.

I look into the receptionist position. Pays 14.00 dollars an hour, part time, experience not required. Job duties: answer telephone, create Word and Excel documents, etc.

That's perfect! Plus I have some experience with my last job! I print my resume out then decide to go to the place, since it's only a fifteen minute walk form here. I put on black jeans, a white button up shirt, a feminine black blazer, and some red suede flats. I put my hair in a sock bun because it's still a mess. Last, I grab my big tote bag. I'm ready to land this job.

This place is gorgeous! There are huge chandeliers, amazing portraits hanging everywhere, a movie theatre, a formal dinning room, and a poker room. It's an in-patient rehab center, so I will be dealing with many families. Much more interactive than my last job. Most patients are here to recover from major surgeries; so, the residents won't be here too long.

A rather old looking woman with a heavy Boston accent greets me. "Welcome to Manhattan's Care. How may I assist you?"

"Hello. I'm here to inquire about the Receptionist position."

"Believe it or not, you're the only person to ask about it, let alone show up. Just a moment, I'll call the supervisor"

After an awesome interview, I got offered the job. "You'll be getting paid 16 dollars per hour."

My face lit up. 16 an hour?!?! That's 4 more than my old job! To hell with them! "Sounds great! I'll be training tomorrow?"

"Yes. Be here by 10:30am. Lynn, over there, will be showing you the ropes."

As I was leaving I passed a few offices, most with clear glass walls- but one caught my eye; the office was the only with walls and no window in the door. I stood, spacing out, for a second but moved quickly because I sense very strange vibes.

As I was walking out I feel a familiar sensation- anxiety. I turn around to see a man standing in the doorway, staring at me. I can't help but stare back. He is very attractive but something about him doesn't feel right.