17. Time Heist

Mary stood with Jamie in front of her and her arms around him loosely as she, Nat and Steve stared at Scott who was pacing in front of them

Mary stood with Jamie in front of her and her arms around him loosely as she, Nat and Steve stared at Scott who was pacing in front of them. They were all in shock how he was still alive. They were all so sure he had dusted along with Hope and Hank. Mary was the most in shock, if Scott was here, could others be as well?

"Scott." Steve startled the pacing man. The confused Ant-Man snapped his head up to look at the Captain as Steve leaned against the table, his arms wrapped around his daughter who snuggled further into her father's chest. Esme had never seen this man before other than Jamie's hero's book. She thought everyone in her cousin's book was fictional. She'd never seen her father done a red, white and blue shield, she'd never seen her Uncle Stephen create portals out of nothing. They were only stories to her.

So for Scott to be standing in front of the small three year old was something short of a miracle for all parties.

"Are you okay?" Mary asks Scott hesitantly, she wasn't even sure if she was okay.

Scott looks at the Rogers siblings and nods, "Yeah." He say as he rubs his face with his hands, his mind still coping with what's happened to the world and the universe. In an instant his head snaps up and startles Mary. "Have any of you guys ever studied quantum physics?" Scott asks suddenly.

Mary hesitates, looking over at her brother and Nat. Mary had heard of the field but never delved further into it. "Only to make conversation." Nat responds.

Scott shakily points at Nat with a nervous smirk as his mind goes a million miles a second, "All right, so... five years ago, right before... Thanos... I was in a place called the quantum realm. The quantum realm is like its own microscopic universe. To get in there, you have to be incredibly small. Hope. She's my, um..." Scott pauses, ducking his head briefly as he remembers that Hope's been gone for five years. "She was my... she was supposed to pull me out. And then Thanos happened... and i got stuck in there."

Nat looks at Scott, "I'm sorry, that must have been a very long five years." She tells him remorsefully.

"Yeah, but that's just it. It wasn't. For me it was five hours." Scott states and Mary's eyes widen.

"Time is different there?" Mary asks and Scott nods.

"See, the rules of the quantum realm aren't like they are up here. Everything is unpredictable. Is that anybody's sandwich?" Scott states then rambles as his eyes spot the forgotten sandwich Nat and Jamie were sharing. "I'm starving." He mutters as he dashes over to the plate and grabs the last bit of the sandwich.

"Scott. What are you talking about?" Steve asks as he shifts Esme in his arms.

"Daddy. Momma tawks about fe reawmy pwace." Esme mumbles and Steve's eyes widen in realization.

"Strange knew about it." Steve mutters then looks back at Scott as he eats the sandwich.

"So... what i'm saying is... like Mary said... time works differently in the quantum realm. The only problem is right now we don't have any way to navigate it. But what if we did?" He rambles as he begins to pace again, "I can't stop thinking about it. What is we could somehow control the chaos... and we could navigate it? What if there was a way that we could enter the quantum realm at a certain point in time but then exit the quantum realm at another point in time?" Scott rambles on but then stops as he looks at Mary, "Like before Thanos."