15. Through the Years Prt 2

Tony and Pepper's wedding was everything they had hoped for given the current state of the world

Tony and Pepper's wedding was everything they had hoped for given the current state of the world. It was peaceful and tranquil, Pepper was glowing and Tony had never been more happy than in that moment when he and Pepper exchanged their vows and became husband and wife. Mary was so happy, thrilled for them. Her son and now daughter were going to start their lives together. But the little green monster was always inside Mary's mind. The jealousy she felt when Tony and Pepper exchanged their first kiss as a married couple made her heart ache with jealousy because she had had her husband, he was alive. And then he wasn't.

Questions pooled inside her mind as the reception was underway, all the couples that attended were dancing on dance floor but Mary. She was at her table alone, Natasha had wanted a dance with her godson and Mary happily obliged the spy. So Mary sat alone, drinking her sparkling apple cider because Tony knew she didn't drink. Her questions kept eating away at her from the inside. They had stirred within her when Steve and Evelyn had gotten married six months prior to Tony's wedding. They'd even acknowledged it.

It didn't seem right, or even fair, that they got to enjoy their happiness while others, like Mary, had lost their own spouses to the Snap. It ate away at Mary when she knew her brother and son felt like that. That they shouldn't celebrate themselves because of the world going on right now.

But Mary told them to anyways. Her feelings were her own, no one else around her truly knew what she was feeling. No one else had lost a spouse in the Snap that she knew of. She could've gone to Jean or Scott up in Westchester but they both had snapped away. Logan and Ororo were happy together and making due with the limited staff and students they now have. Sue and Reed both were still alive, Johnny and Ben were victims of the Snap. T'Challa and Shuri were both gone. But the one woman Mary knew of that could somehow understand her was in Wakanda.

The Queen Mother, Ramonda.

She had lost her husband in the bombing of the Vienna UN building. She understood that loss, that pain of seeing other couples be happy while Mary was suffering with the loss of her spouse. Her center. Her Alpha.

So the two widows made it a point three times a week, or whenever the other needed to vent, to talk about their struggles and how they're attempting to move past it all. That became a tradition for them. It became their saving grace on many occasions.

Soon months slowly turned into a year, Tony and Pepper announced they were expecting a baby in August. Mary was ninety-nine years old on September eleventh, 2019. A day that was already solemn for America became even more so after the Snap. Jamie was now four and Mary wanted him to be celebrated. He deserved to be celebrated. So that's what they did. Mary only requested a small dinner with her family outside of their Friday Night Dinners. Jamie was given gifts and he hugged every one of his aunties and uncles that gave him something with the brightest smile you would ever see on a child.

Evelyn and Mary sat down after Jamie had gone to sleep and the sister in laws talked about anything and everything. Evelyn wanted to be a mother, she truly did and Mary saw that in her sister. Steve wanted to be a father, he was already an amazing uncle to Jamie and Becca before her passing. It was only natural that the couple would consider talking about children. But what Evelyn brought up was something Mary didn't anticipate.