51. The Big Three

Mary sat in her husband's lap on the floor of their apartment in front of the tv as it played the news

Mary sat in her husband's lap on the floor of their apartment in front of the tv as it played the news. It was showing a marching band playing an updated version of the Star Spangled Man with A Plan. And it physically hurt Mary's soul seeing the new "Captain America" run out and high five one of the band members. She could tell how happy he was being the new Captain America.

But Mary didn't care. All Mary saw was the image of her first born's tear streaked face as her parents had called their daughter once they got back to the apartment. The image of Becca's face was stained into their memories. She felt betrayed, because she was. She had trusted people with her shield and they took it from her without so much as telling her.

This new "Captain America" deserved no respect. He had stolen his daughter's legacy whether he knew it or not. He had taken Becca's rightful inheritance. She watched with anger as he jogged up the stairs to the platform where the ABC News anchor conducting the interview was. "Ladies and Gentlemen. Your new Captain America!" The news anchor said with such delight it made Mary want to vomit. Bucky had to physically restrain his wife when the imposter showed up on the screen of their tv. She lunged in her husband's arms. Tears streamed down her face as she watched the crowds cheer for him and fireworks boom overhead.

"Good morning, America!" The imposter greeted the people. Set crew brought up two chairs for the interview to begin and Mary scoffed with disgust at how much fanfare was being thrown his way. Unlike when Steve was first named Captain America. The name itself was Mary's idea, the costume he wore during the tour of war bonds was sown by Mary. Steve had said time and time again that there wouldn't have been a Captain America without Mary.

"Thank you so much for coming. This has gotta be fun, though, coming back to your high school after so much has changed?" The anchor asks as a fan shouts the imposter's name. John Walker. Mary rolled her eyes at that and Bucky glanced down at his wife with a little bit of shock.

He had never seen her despise someone like she did John Walker. Never. Sure, she hated Thanos and Red Skull, even Zemo for tearing apart her family. But technically, John Walker hadn't done anything wrong, at least in the eyes of America. In the eyes of the Rogers-Barnes family, he had touched upon their sacred legacy.

"Oh, it's great. We're- Oh!" Walker shouts and points to a few fans with a wide smile.

"John, I think the first thing everyone wants to know is what is it like being Captain America?" The anchor asks.

"He's not!" Mary shouts, "He's a sorry excuse for an imposter!" She exclaimed and Bucky holds down his wife as she tries to lunge at the tv again. Her eyes were bright amber as they glowed with righteous fury.

"Do eagles fly overhead wherever you go?" The anchor finishes her question. Mary laughs loudly with a scoff.

Walker laughs at the question and then plays into it. "Uh, yes. Yeah, that and flags tend to start majestically waving in the wind." He jokes and Mary lets out a frustrated scream. The lights in the kitchen adjacent to their living room began to flicker and Bucky knew he needed to calm down his wife in that moment.