007: jung wooyoung is imperfect

cw: mentions of body image issues

* * *

« it's funny that
others recognize me
when i can't even
recognize myself »

Wooyoung has never liked the way he looks.

But most people didn't as well, so that didn't make him special or worthy of any sort of attention.

Everyone had something they hated about themselves, from their weight, to the shape of their eyes, to their lips, acne scars and even the length of their jaw. That's why cosmetic surgery was a thing and why the beauty industry was a multi-billion dollar one, but Wooyoung hadn't been that intolerant of his looks to feel like he had to go under the knife to change them.

He just...sometimes wished he could look different, wished he could look better, wished he could look the way he wanted. Wished, wished, wished.

His mother had always been slim, with a youthful face and cheeks dipping with deep, unique dimples whenever she smiled or laughed out loud. She kept her makeup natural and her hair just shy of her shoulders, dyeing the ends many times into whatever colour she felt like having at the moment. She just loved experimenting with her looks, but that didn't count when it came to Wooyoung's clashing eye colours.

She also loved taking pictures, especially whenever she got all dolled up or attended high-end events, but it was only of herself or including Wooyoung's father at the time, but never him.

And Wooyoung's father was a tall, sturdy man with immaculate bone structure and a gravelly voice that drew eyes to him and commanded respect. He was well-built too, and whenever he wasn't chasing after women he would be often seen at the local gym, staying in shape.

He was obsessed with having a good body image, and never ceased to remind Wooyoung just how inferior he was compared to him in that department.

Wooyoung, at a certain point, envied the both of his parents. He envied his mother's pretty dimples and her soft features, and envied his father's height and charismatic, sociable personality. He wanted what they had, because he knew he just wasn't enough.

As Wooyoung grew, he became more and more aware of how lacking he was in comparison to his parents.

First, it was his eyes, and the way they kept drawing negative attention wherever he went. Then, he didn't like his nose, and how prominent and out of place he felt it looked on his face. Then, he took notice of how short he was when he thought of his other male classmates, and how their heights seemed to skyrocket once they hit puberty.

Then, there was the way his metabolism slowed down once he became a teenager, causing him to pay more attention to what he wore and ate. Sometimes, he'd stare at himself in the mirror and poke at the small stubborn pudge that'd developed on his tummy, wishing he had a wand so he could just wave it all away with a little bit of magic. But he didn't go to Hogwarts, and magic didn't exist in his world.