Chapter 8: I Know

(Ooh angst!)

Every day for the next week was the same. Wake up, go to school, do some beautification tasks for Midari (you were her pet, after all,) go home, eat, sleep, then start the cycle over again. For the first few days, Midari had been very flirty with you, grabbing your waist, kissing your neck, whispering in your ear... but she soon gave up doing that, after you pushed her away for the 20th time. Every time she touched you, Kirari's words rang in your head.

"You're just a temporary escape."

~

"Come ON Y/N, what's wrong with you?" Midari had finally had enough of you ignoring her.

You looked up at her, just the two of you alone in the beautification room. You looked back down at the files in front of you, and went back to work. Hearing Midari's deep breathing and feeling her eyes linger on you, you looked back up at her, the silence just too uncomfortable to deal with.

She was crying.

"Midari? What the-" you covered your mouth, you didn't mean to speak to her, you didn't want to ever again.

She quickly wiped away her tears.

"Y-you spoke to me!" She had a wide grin on her face, her eye was shining.

You looked back down, ignoring her once again.

"Please..." Midari whispered, reaching over the desk to touch your hand. "Please, I can't have you ignore me too."

Too. She was talking about Jabami-

"Yumeko." You said, pulling your hand away from hers.

"What?" Midari said, her eye beginning to well up again.

"Jabami Yumeko. I know how you feel about her. President Momobami told me."

Midari stared at you, a wordless breath came out.

"So now you're silent?" You said, your voice loud, but wavering a bit.

Midari finally got one letter out

"I-"

"No. You don't need to explain anything. It's fine really. You can obsess over Yumeko and beg her to shoot you, or whatever it is you do. And I will stay your pet, following your orders. But that is all I will be. I will no longer be a servant to help you release your built up tension after seeing Jabami San. Do you understand, Ikishima?"

Midari was taken aback by your last words. You remember how hurt she was when you called her "Ikishima" at her apartment. Now, the pain was deeper. Midari stood up, still looking at you. She bowed.

"I understand, mittens."

She got up and left the room. Leaving you alone. You began to cry. You still wanted her, but you knew she didn't feel the same.

Midari POV:
I left the beautification room, leaving Y/N to finish her paperwork. She was probably happy now that I was gone.

Shutting the door behind me, I collapsed onto the floor, the door serving as my back rest. I began to uncontrollably sob.

"Yumeko..." I blubbered. "You mean nothing to me. A good gamble. Just like Kirari. But I'm not in love with Kirari or you! I was in love with the risk."

Kirari. She told Y/N about Yumeko. She messed with her head.

"Or did I?" I thought. "...you invited her to your home, you slept with her, then you slept with her. It wasn't supposed to be anything. Maybe a little fun. But now she never leaves your head."

She never leaves my head.

I stood up, knowing what I had to do. Just as I went to open the door, Y/N pushed it open, knocking me over. She glanced at me, tears running down her face, then she ran away.

"Wait!" I yelled, standing up and running after her.