Drinking Superjuice

In two days we are flying to Alaska to perform at the A Cappella Festivella. So I have been for the last two days trying to decide which clothes I am going to take with me, regretting not buying more clothes when we went to ‘The Grove’, and hoping that what I ordered on line last week will be here tomorrow, or I will have to go on an emergency trip to every store searching for something suitable for Alaska… which is not really easy living in LA. At least packing nowadays is not as difficult as it used to be.

The truth is that being on the road as much as we are lately; packing has turned into a routine. I remember that at the beginning it was a tedious task, and in general terms I tended to pack more than needed. Now I have it down to an almost exact science. And there are some things that have their specific place at my luggage. This not only helps to have it all under control and make good use of all the space but to find everything faster when in need.    

But the main point, and I figure this out a long time ago, is to be listening to really loud music when you are doing any task that you do not want to do. If you cannot listen to it because you have neighbors or family or you just are really considerate of your community then you should get a good pair of headphones. Having a rhythm to work makes everything easier and you are more productive.

However, I sometimes like listening to very loud music so I can’t hear my thoughts. Not as loud as to burst my eardrums but enough to keep my inner demons away. And today was one of those days; I didn’t feel like thinking in anything other than the amazing time that I was going to have in Alaska, and all the cute outfits that I was planning for each day.

I was completely absorbed in “You & Me” by Disclosure, but the Baauer Remix. That song keeps all my demons really far away, the lyrics can make me a little sad sometimes, but the beat exceeds the lyrics by far. So, there I was living the song when somebody touched my right shoulder, and I jumped. I took my headphones off as a mechanism of defense, I think. As if my body wanted to know from where the “attack” was coming, so with full hearing was going to be probably easier.

As I turned around I saw Scott laughing out of control. It seems that my jump, my little scream and my face of terror were more than enough to trigger in him a fit of laughter.

Scott: Oh my god! I needed that laugh so much! I am so sorry! But that was so funny!

Mitch: I’m glad to be your personal clown! (I smiled and bowed)

Scott: (Still giggling he asked) Are you busy?

Mitch: No, tell me. How can I help you?

Scott: I had a discussion with Alex a couple of hours ago. I have been walking around the city since then, and I was wondering if you would like to get drunk with me tonight?

Mitch: Like going out? Or home party?

Scott: I was thinking home party, mainly because if there is something that I need more than alcohol is your jokes. You never fail to make me laugh, as you have just proved.   

Mitch: Oh Caroline! You know how to persuade a lady… Do you want me to go to the groceries’ store? Get something to eat, and some bottles of whatever you want to drink, and a bottle of some flavored Vodka for me?

Scott: Can we go together? I don’t want to be by myself anymore…

Mitch: Hey! Do you need a hug?

Scott: Yes!

Mitch: Ok, let me step on my bed so I can be taller than you. Because when you are hugged by a taller person you have a feeling of protection… you know what I mean?

Scott: Actually not really… there are few people taller than me who had had the need to hug me.

It was weird to hug Scott and have his arms around my waist instead of around my shoulders.