Chapter 34

Tobias's POV

I feel something land on top of me, and I immediately jolt out of my sleep. I look in front of me and see that it's Toby who has jumped on top of me.

"Happy birthday, Daddy!" he exclaims, and that's when I finally realize what is going on. Toby came to surprise me on my birthday. I laugh a little and smile at him.

"Hi, buddy! Thank you!"

I pull him into a hug and then look over at Tris who is still standing by the bedroom door. She smiles at me and holds up a couple of containers.

"We brought breakfast," she says and walks over to the bed. I immediately move over to allow her to sit next to me. After she sits down, she opens the containers, and I see that it's my favorite breakfast. French toast and fruit.

"You didn't," I say as I look at her.

"Oh, but I did," she replies, and my smile grows even bigger.

Man, I wasn't expecting this.

"Do you like it, Daddy? I helped Mommy make it," Toby tells me.

"I love it, buddy."

I reach over to ruffle his hair, and then Tris leans over and kisses me on the cheek.

"Happy birthday, Tobias."

Oh! There is that beautiful smile of hers. I could sit here all day, staring at it. She gives me a questioning look.

"What?" she asks, and I shake my head a little.

"It's nothing. Thank you," I say with a smile of my own.

"Of course. Well, let's dig in."

Tris portions all of the food out onto three separate plates before we start eating. Both Tris and I help feed Toby, so he doesn't get the French toast all over the bed. But it's one of the most wholesome family moments we have ever had, and it makes me smile.

Once we're all done eating, Tris takes all of the containers and plates and takes them into the kitchen. I turn to Toby once she's out of the room.

"So what do you want to do?" I ask him, and he thinks about it for a second before smiling.

"Let's wrestle!" he exclaims and jumps on top of me.

"Oh! I'm going to win!"

"No, you're not! I'm going to win," he says with a laugh as he pushes me down.

I wrestle around with him for a few minutes, pretending to put up a fight, before letting him pin me down on the bed. And that's when Tris walks in.

"One! Two! Three! And Toby is the winner!" she tells as she picks Toby up off of me and spins him around.

She starts tickling him, and I watch with a smile as he starts laughing uncontrollably. His laugh is so adorable and infectious. Once she's done tickling him, she sits down next to me, and he jumps back on top of me.

"I won!" he tells me, and I smile at him.

"Yep, you did," I reply. "You won fair and square."

Now that he's satisfied with that, he climbs down off of the bed and starts playing with his pile of toys that he has here. Tris leans back into me without taking her eyes off of Toby, and I quickly wrap my arms around her and pull her closer, savoring the connection.

"Thank you for the breakfast. You didn't have to do that," I tell her.

"Yes, I did," she says. "Today is your day, and for once, I am going to spoil you like you have spoiled me."