Chapter Eighteen - The Greed of Power

"Poor Trelawney", Hazel said softly, as she left the class with Harry, Hermione and Ron.

The four made their way back down to the hall but were suddenly caught off guard by the many more wooden-framed, hanging signs on the bricked wall. Umbridge had compiled a set list of rules and Filch, being the nervous caretaker he is, obliged to her demands, nailing all of them into the wall. It was chaotic. One sign read:

PROCLAMATION
EDUCATION DECREE
NO. 12
NO MUSIC IS TO BE PLAYED DURING STUDY HOURS

Another sign read:

PROCLAMATION
EDUCATION DECREE
NO. 30
ALL WEASLEY PRODUCTS WILL BE BANNED IMMEDIATELY

And just below that, the next sign read:

PROCLAMATION
EDUCATION DECREE
NO. 48
PROPER DRESS AND DECORUM IS TO BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES

Suddenly, a large herd of students hurried outside onto the courtyard so, naturally, the four Gryffindors followed. Harry bumped into Cho and asked what was happening.

"What's going on?", he asked with concern.

"It's Professor Trelawney", the girl in blue, with raven black hair, responded.

Cho was very beautiful; her golden skin complimented her dark eyes and her voice was so soothing to hear. Hazel hasn't had a proper opportunity to talk to Cho, especially with Cho distancing herself after Cedric's death. The others greeted Cho with little, warming smiles as they walked out into the stiff air.

Trelawney was stood on her own in the courtyard, though she was surrounded by the gathering of students intrigued with what's going on. Filch staggered outside, carrying her heavy luggage and dropping it by her feet. Trelawney's eyes watered and her lips quivered with deep sadness. She fumbled her fingers and thumbs and nervously stumbled back, hitting her heels against the biggest briefcase behind her. She sat down, breathing quickly with anxiety.

The doors closed behind as the pink monster walked out, greeting everyone that surrounded her and slowly approached Trelawney. A lordly smirk was wiped across Umbridge's face.

"Sixteen years I've lived and taught here. Hogwarts is my home", Trelawney pleaded whilst sniffling.

Hazel's heart stung as she heard Trelawney's last few words: "Hogwarts is my home". She knew, more than anyone, how much Hogwarts meant to her and everyone who came to terms with how beautiful the castle really was. Hogwarts was more than a school, it was a sanctuary, a safe haven, a place where you could be yourself. Taking Hogwarts away was like tearing the soul out of you.

Hazel clenched her fist with rage, she felt the desire to approach Trelawney, take her things and welcome her back into the comforting walls of Hogwarts and reassure her that she could never be taken away from her home. Hermione softly placed her hand on Hazel's, comforting her and allowing Hazel to relax her tense muscles.

"You can't do this", Trelawney continued.

Umbridge smiled and tilted her head.

"Actually, I can", she responded with no remorse.

Trelawney began to break down as McGonagall rushed past a group of students and dashed to the hopeless woman. Trelawney stumbled into McGonagall's warm embrace and she shot Umbridge an intense and raging glare.

"Something you'd like to say, dear?", Umbridge asked disdainfully.

McGonagall's voice trembled with fury.

"Oh, there are several things I would like to say", McGonagall snapped back, patting Trelawney's arched back as she crumbled.

Abruptly, the large wooden doors slammed open, and a familiar figure walked out. He had been gone for a while, he hadn't been seen around the castle as frequently as he normally was. The ashy-bearded wizard slowly stormed out, approaching Umbridge.

"Professor McGonagall, might I ask you to escort Sybil back inside?", Dumbledore called out, his voice roaring with power.

McGonagall guided the trembling Trelawney back inside, passing by Dumbledore, as she warmly shook his hand and thanked him.

"Dumbledore, may I remind you that under the terms of Educational Decree Number 23, as enacted by the Minister-", Umbridge informed before being interrupted by Dumbledore.

"You have the right to dismiss my teachers. You do not, however, have the authority to banish them from the grounds", Dumbledore corrected, glaring down onto the small woman.

Umbridge continued to plaster that patronising smile on her face, as she clasped her hands together politely but firmly.

"That power remains with the headmaster", Dumbledore added confidently.

Umbridge chuckled, the ringing of her laugh sat so unpleasantly in the ears of anyone who heard it.

"For now", Umbridge implied, smiling and walking back inside.

Dumbledore froze for a brief moment, his eyes squinted as he watched Umbridge walk by in the corner of his eye. Swiftly, he turned back around and exited, herding up the students and ordering them to go back to their studying. Just as Dumbledore disappeared amongst the students, Harry chased after him, Hazel shortly following behind.

"Professor! Professor Dumbledore!", Harry called out, budging past the students that surrounded him.

"Harry, wait!", Hazel yelled too, though it was hopeless as Harry was desperate to speak to Dumbledore.

Hazel quickly squeezed past a large group of students and caught up with Harry but, by the time the two got inside the castle, Dumbledore was gone, as though he had evaporated into thin air.