Chapter Thirty Nine - Time to Fly

Hazel and Harry raced down the bending, winding bridge, making their way back to Umbridge's office but were pleasantly surprised to meet Hermione, Ron, Neville, Ginny and Luna on their journey.

"How'd you get away?", Hazel asked at they stopped half way on the bridge, now facing the others as she tried to catch her breath back.

"Puking Pastilles. It wasn't pretty", Ginny answered, lightly chuckling.

"Told them I was hungry, wanted some sweets. They told me to bugger off and ate the lot themselves", Ron admitted, shrugging playfully.

Hazel and Harry raised their brows, and Hazel quickly pulled Ron in for a hug, praising him.

"Great thinking!", Hazel said, leaving his embrace.

"That was clever, Ron", Hermione added, nudging him in a light-hearted manner.

He chuckled.

"Has been known to happen".

Ron shrugged, trying to hide his prideful smirk, but just couldn't. He often felt as though he didn't contribute much to the four, but he overlooked everything he did so much, he needed to praise himself more, the four friends wouldn't be where they were then without him.

"It was brilliant! So, how are we getting to London?", Neville asked, his face glowing with hope and bravery.

Hazel admired Neville's strength to take part in this rescue mission; she noticed how timid of a boy he was in year four, and how much he had grown since then. She felt proud of him, and felt privileged to be his friend.

"Look, it's not that I don't appreciate everything you've done, all of you, but I've got you into enough trouble as it is-", Harry admitted shamefully.

He slowly walked through them before stopping in his tracks.

"Dumbledore's Army's supposed to be about doing something real. Or was that all just words to you?", Neville rhetorically questioned, his happy expression now vanished.

Harry paused and turned around, looking down at his feet.

Ron stepped forward, raising his voice as his smile disappeared into a glum frown.

"Maybe you don't have to do this all by yourself, mate", Ron added.

Harry looked up at his friends, then glancing at Hazel. They locked eyes, and connected. It was as though Hazel could feel his fear; not the fear of Voldemort, it was the fear of losing his friends, his family, putting them in danger to risk their lives for Harry. She blinked, breaking their eye contact. Hazel slowly stepped forward and concentrated on Harry's worried expression.

"We're doing this together, all of us", Hazel demanded softly, taking his cold hand and interlocking her fingers with his; his hands were always warm, but the anxiety chilled his blood.

Harry looked down at their hands for a second, he appreciated the sentiment, and looked back up at Hazel's reassuring smile; it warmed his heart like an open fire, burning away his worries and overwhelming thoughts, letting them perish within the amber flames his temple caged.

"So how are we going to get to London?", Harry said, now looking up at the rest of the army, slowly breaking touch with Hazel.

Luna's lips curved into a hopeful grin and her eyes widened, twinkling like the stars in the midnight sky on a cold, winters evening, where no street lights could take away their life.

"We fly, of course", she said.

Luna swiftly guided them back to the Forbidden Forest, though not so deep this time. They dashed with urgency, wasting no time. As they did, Hazel had to speak to Harry, she needed to tell him how she felt, even if she made a hint, for her heart was exploding for this boy; this brown haired, emerald eyed, fair toned, brave and loyal boy.

"Harry, I need to tell you this", she said, slightly out of breath, as the two swiftly trailed behind the army, who were leading them to the Thestrals.

They continued racing down, passing the slender trees and stomping above twigs and dead leaves.

"When this is over, when we win", she continued, trying to catch her breath.

"I love-".

Everyone came to a halt, gasping for air.

Hazel, Harry, Luna and Neville were amazed by the beautiful, gaunt creatures, meanwhile Hermione, Ron and Ginny stood frozen, puzzled and scanning the area, looking for something.

"How the bloody hell are we supposed to ride these things you're seeing?", Ron asked with a gobsmacked expression.

"We can't even see the things".

Luna took his hand and guided him to a strong and mighty Thestral, of course, he couldn't see a thing.

"It's easy, here", Luna said calmly, whilst Hazel, Harry and Neville lifted themselves up, sitting comfortably on the skeletal-horses.

Hazel turned around, surprised to see Neville sat on the creature; she didn't expect Neville to see Thestrals, her heart sunk a little, and realised that he must've seen someone die in front of him, but she avoided asking him that saddening question.

"Hazel, what were you saying?", Harry asked, turning around and facing Hazel, who was gently stroking the neck of the sooty horse.

Hazel froze and stumbled with her words, stuttering her sentences.

"I'll tell you later", she informed; she wanted to express her blossoming feelings she had for Harry, but at the right time, in the right place.

Luna helped Ron and Ginny on their Thestrals, finally lifting Hermione on hers. She wound their hands into their horse's manes, telling them to grip tightly before going back to her own stout steed.

The Thestrals took off immediately; they had no need to be controlled by their riders, for they found their own way to the designated destination.

Hermione, Ron and Ginny looked extremely, though understandably, nervous, for they were now in the air, flying! Flying on these mysterious creatures with no visible means of support. They flew over the castle, as the sky began to evaporate into a salmon hue, and the blinding sun began to rise slowly.

Hazel examined each detail of the scenery she passed, she was totally mesmerised by the beauty of her home. She studied the intricate architecture of the school, how each brick had a story, she inspected the glistening pool of azure waves, calmly crashing into one another as the lake surrounded the school and she explored the group of brown, strong trees with painted lime leaves, bringing life to the forest. She allowed the invigorating breeze smother her face, letting it dance around each strand of her hair, and she tasted the cool, refreshing air play on her tongue like children at a playground. She took in every part of her home, and stored it in her mind forever.