Chapter 7

"What's are you a hybrid of?"

"Well I'm a..."

"X! Grian! There you two are! Come one were having dinner now that's Ren is back!" It was Stress. She ran around the corner of the house and looked up at us. I looked at X to see he already had his helmet back on. He must have heard her coming. She didn't seem to realise that she had interrupted our conversation.
"Just coming Stress!" Xisuma chuckled and looked at me, "Sorry G, guess we'll continue this chat another time." He scooted to the edge of the roof and jumped off, landing with bent knees and walking over to where Stress had gone. I sat, alone, on the roof for a little bit longer before jumping off and floating down to where everyone else was.

Iskall seemed ok but looking at him just made me feel bad. Until he came over to talk to me.
"So, avian huh? Life must be pretty tough for you. Being the only one left and all." His voice was calm and slow. Unlike his earlier one.
"Yeah... it's something all right. The AHA believed there was more of us so they tortured me for years to get me to tell them where we hid. I had nothing to say as the people hiding don't exist. They decided they were just going to take my wings instead, that's when Mumbo," I nodded in his direction, "found me and got me out." Iskall just stood and listened. He seemed shocked. I don't blame him.
"Wow. That's horrible. I've always been helping hybrids. When I was a teenager I found Stress. I've been with her for years. NOT IN A ROMANTIC WAY just as friends who go around helping hybrids in need. We brought Jevin and Xisuma here after meeting Mumbo who was taking a broken Cleo away from a necropolis that people kept trying to lock her in."

"Come on you two enough chit-chat. Sit down for dinner!"

The food was of a wide variety for each person die to their individual needs.
Ren had lots of meats and some kibble.
Tango had what looked like a full sheep...
Doc had chocolate and a pot of oil.
Cleo had nothing as she was a zombie and therefore had no digestive system.
Jevin had a load of random stuff since he didn't really have a system to taste the food.
Xisuma collected his plate and went inside to eat it.
Stress, Iskall and Mumbo had a normal dinner of chicken pot pie and vegetables.

I looked down at my plate and saw lots of seeds and fruits. I picked them up and ate them quickly. Not having a proper meal for ages. Sure Mumbo brought me food but it wasn't anything meant for birds or anything big. I wasn't the first one done, Tango was, so we both excused ourselves from the table. Tango went to go and sit in the sun for the heat and I went inside the house for the first time.

It was quite large but also cozy. There was three doors leading out of the main living room. One was the kitchen, one was a bathroom, and the third was the storage room for all of the different meal types. There was a winding staircase upwards that I followed and it led to to ten doors. Five on each side. Eight of which were labelled.

Stress/Iskall

Mumbo

Jevin

Xisuma

Cleo

Tango

Doc

Ren

_______

________

I went into the second door on the left, Xisuma's room. He was sitting with his helmet off and eating a plate of food I had never seen before. He had heard me coming so was looking up at me when I entered his room and was grabbing for his helmet.

"Hello" He looked confused. I assumed people didn't normally come into his room.
"Hey", Xisuma relaxed a little and took his hand away from his helmet and went back to eating, "so what are you a hybrid of?"

"My, your a curious one aren't you. Alright I'll tell you. But you can't tell anyone." I nodded and he sat in silence.
"Grian. Do you understand." I just nodded didn't I? Of course I understood.
"Yes I understand." This was obviously a big deal if he wanted me to tell him twice.

"Ok... so you know what the Warden is? The blind creature who lives in caves and has super sensitive hearing? Some think he is just a legend..."

"X. Are you the Warden?" If he was then that was really cool, but there was something more if he was trying to hide it from everyone.

"Well, yes and no. I am blind and have super hearing and horns and everything... but I wasn't born this way and that makes me still human. I hated myself for so long because I'm not a real hybrid."

We both sat in silence for a while as I processed this and X waited for my response. But the silence was short as X snapped his head up and grabbed his helmet to shove it on. He stopped as he was doing so and held a finger over his lips. I nodded back to him and hid behind his door.

"Hey X, have you seen Grian?"

"No I haven't, why what do you need him for?"

"I just wanted to catch up with him since it's been years."

"Ah of course, I'll keep an eye out for him."

I swear he glanced at where I was hiding and I could almost see the smirk behind his mask. Ren said thanks and left the room. He reached back for his plate of weird food and I left his room. Well this was going to be my new life now, I suppose.

I left the house and went back outside. The sun was setting behind the trees and looked really nice. Romantic almost. I walked down to sit with Stress and Iskall, who were watching everyone else play football. Cleo kept taking her leg off and throwing it at the ball to 'kick' it into the goal.

Stress was fun to talk to and Iskall made me laugh a lot. Not because of his jokes, just because his laugh was so infectious. Stress told me that I could take one of the rooms, since I was going to be here for a while. I think I'm going to take the one next to Ren so I can bang on the walls and talk to him at night like we used to do.