Chapter 16

"Hey, where did X go?"

I stood up out of my seat and started frantically looking around. I walked forwards and back over the same patches again shouting, hoping X would hear my voice. But no matter how much I shouted, no noise came back. No indication as to where X had gone.

I couldn't fly up and check for him in case the vexes saw me and that would give away Mumbo as well. I was stranded on the ground again. I had to stop screaming or they would find us anyway. Our only hope was that X hadn't wandered too far and we could find him on foot.

I and Mumbo wandered around for a while before he grabbed my arm. I was walking slightly in front of him so I had to turn around to see him. He sighed before speaking.
"Maybe he isn't here. Maybe we've searched for too long."

I was shocked. How could he say something like that? X can't see what he's doing or where he's going. We had to find him. But there was something in his eyes. I couldn't say no to him. Deep down I knew he was right. X had probably got found by the guards and got taken back to Concorp. I still didn't want to give up on him though.

Despite the voice in my head telling me to give in I had to shove Mumbo hand off my arm and keep walking forwards. But when my hand touched Mumbo's I stopped. My muscles relaxed and I breathed in.

"Ok."

I don't know why I did it. But Mumbo smiled and took hold of my hand. We started walking back to where we came from. He tripped and almost took me down with him, it made him flustered but I didn't mind.

We weaved in and out of trees, walking through the forest. I kept glancing back at Mumbo, I was really glad to be with him. Out of all the people I had met in the last couple of days I was happy to be with Mumbo.

He could cheer me up no matter what happened. He helped me forget that bad things were lurking. Just knowing I was going to get to see him every day made me happy.

Soon enough we made it out of the wild forest and found a path. It could have been a deer path but we followed it anyway. We weren't walking for too long before we emerged upon a village. It was quite small but there was an inn so Mumbo decided we could stay there for the night.

The receptionist seemed a bit scared of me, probably because a presumably dead hybrid with cut up wings and scars on their body walked into her inn and asked to stay the night. She gave me the key to the room and Mumbo said he would take care of the bill. I was relieved because if I'm being honest I don't don't know how money works. I've never been in a situation where I'd need to use it and I wasn't expecting to ever live outside of institutions.

The key had a tag on it that said our room number. Room 7. The receptionist pointed me to a corridor heading to the right so I walked down it and looked at all of the numbers in the doors.

1
                                                                                         20
2
                                                                                          19
3
                                                                                         18
4
                                                                                          17
5
                                                                                          16
6
                                                                                          15
7

I put the key into the lock and tried to turn it. It wouldn't unlock so I put all of my weight on the door and tried to turn it and push at the same time. As I was doing so another resident came out of their room. Their door unlocked easily with a click. They stepped into the corridor and stopped. Their phone clattered onto the floor and a voice called from inside the room to ask if they were ok.

Only then did I realise my wings were fully outspread and the plastered have fallen off. I had been walking around with huge golden wings covered in dried blood. I quickly pulled them in and slammed all of my weight on the door. It opened and I fell into the room and onto the floor.

I heard footsteps coming down the corridor and Mumbo walked into the room, almost tripping up on me. He quickly moved his other foot to balance him so he wouldn't fall over and looked down at me.

"Are you the reason there is a fully grown adult stunned in the hall?" I giggled and sat up.
"Maybe." Mumbo chuckled and reached out a hand to help me up.

"So I guess this is where we'll be staying tonight."

"I guess so."