Mates are for Life

Tables turned for Max.

I could smell her; the scent storm wore like perfume in the gym when I first met here. It has been driving me insane to smell her but not see her. The first day I smelled her I could not act because Sarah was on my case. She was being clingy, more than usual to the news of us getting new members. My father was pissed too, and I understand why. Sarah was not my mate, yet I did what she asked and in turn was disobeying my father and my duties to the pack. Maybe father was right but mother also said to treat a woman with the upmost respect and to never upset them. I should have stayed single until my mate came around. I would have met her the day she arrived, and she would be waking up in my bed by now. The scent of my mate crept into my room from underneath the door and before I knew it, I was following it until the beta approached me with Lucus in tow. "Urgently, the alpha needs you two to put a team together and run the perimeter. Report back what you find immediately." Lucus and I nodded and did as we were instructed leaving the trail of my mate for a later find. We started at the front gate and noticed an unfamiliar scent on the bars of the gate. "What is this smell?" Lucus inspected the gate. "My group are to follow me, and we will investigate heading left while your group goes right. We meet back up at the center back of the perimeter." I instructed. Tracing the gate, we picked up the same scent in another spot on the bars. At the back of the gate, group two was already there standing looking worried. Lucus and I looked eyes and sent the members of our group off with. Quickly making our way back to the pack house in silence, my brain was racking over the scent of an unknown, my mates' scent and my best friend who refuses to even talk to me unless the pack needs him too. The closer we got to the alphas office the stronger the scent had gotten. The beta questioned us on the way with a concerned look on his face. I ignored the two and focused on the trail of vanilla. "Enter." His voice was stern as my father called out from inside his office. The door opened and a wave of vanilla hit me like a steel wall. There she sat with her back to me rendering my unable to breathe properly, let alone speak. I stared intently at her, but she refused to meet my gaze. I could not hear anything but her breathing. Moving past me as blurs. My father's voice broke me from my trance. "Is there something you need?" Yes, I need her. I crave, HER.  "I know this is not the right time, but I have been wishing to smell this scent again. To see you, my dear mate." I watched as a body reacted to my voice. My father's smile stretched ear to ear. "So, you have finally found the one, my boy." My father and I have wishing for this day for years. The time for me to take over the pack all weighed on when I mated. "Wow, after so many years of waiting, your time has finally come my son. I will leave and give you two your privacy." The alpha stood up from his chair with a great big smile on his face. "Don't." I never knew one word could hurt so bad. She left the room without a second to waste and my father look devastated. "What have you done?" "Father." I shook my head in disbelief. "Don't just stand here! Go after her! NOW!" My father commanded, forcing my body to move.

 Her door slammed just as I reached for her. "Lena. Lena. Lena, I know you are in there so please open the door." I knocked until my knuckles burned. I called for her repeatedly, ignoring the pack members that gossiped in the hallway.  Finally, she opened her door enough to for me to see her beautiful eyes. Oh, how I have missed those stormy eyes. Those eyes that plagued my dreams every day since I was blessed to first lay eyes on them. "Please let me in Lena. Are you to make me stay here in these hallways?" People continued to whisper as they walked past my me, eyeing the situation at hand. "Why are you here and not with your girlfriend?" I did not think this is what we were going to talk about. I was truly shocked by the question. A growled emitted from my mate as she stared at me with anger in her eyes." Gaining my composure, I begged for the first time in my life. "I want to talk to you, and I won't talk to her anymore. I promise. You are the mate I have been waiting for all this time and I just want to talk to you like we did at the gym." "Talk to you, you say. I would rather not talk to you." The growl in her throat echoed through the hallway scaring off the stragglers that was watching the scene. "What have I done to receive this type of treatment? You are acting so differently from the first time we met at the gym." I cried out in anguish. "Why didn't you step in and stop you GIRLFRIND from bullying and beating one of your fellow pack members to death? Why did you become an accomplice to assault, bullying that was unjustified? Why did you protect you girlfriend when she abused the weaker pack members? You ask why I treat you so unjustly. It's because I would never talk to someone who is so passive and allows someone to be hurt when they have the power to change everything. I would never mate with anyone like you." With that, she slammed the door in my face. I fell to my knees and screamed in despair. To think all this time, Lucus was right. I have lost my mate, and it was all my fault. I sat at her door, head in hands and I cried my heart out, not caring about how I looked nor who heard me.