hospitals

tw // cancer and hospitals

requested/story told to me by domsbaby

these days were never easy for aria. her older sister morgan was diagnosed with cancer around a year ago. thank god, she was recovered and on the road to normality. but long term visits were still needed just to check in on her progress.

they were only every 6 months but they could be pretty triggering for aria. and she still felt the responsibility to look after killian and bella, her two younger siblings. and today was one of the 6 month visits.

aria's mum and dad wouldn't let aria or the other two younger ones visit the hospital, it was only them and morgan. "ok aria, everything's ready, the emergency numbers are on the fridge" her mum said.

she nodded, sitting on the sofa as killian and bella watched tv. there were some frozen pizzas in the freezer that she just had to cook for their lunch. "ok bye, see you tonight!" her dad called as they picked up the car keys.

"bye!" killian and bella called. aria just nodded to show she heard. slam. the front door shut. aria watched tv with killian and bella for a while longer when killian started getting restless. "aria can i go on my iPad?" they asked.

"if it's finished charging, yeah" aria said casually. bella went upstairs to play with her teddies and that was fine by aria. she just sat down on the sofa as she scrolled through her timelines on various different social medias.

but she felt her stomach swarming. she knew it was going to be ok, any other appointment for years had. they were just compulsory, a better safe than sorry style beat. but it hurt. it brought back so many memories that weren't good.

then, her train of thought was interrupted by a knock on the door. she at first didn't want to open the door but it was around 10am, maybe it was the postman. she got up and opened, seeing a familiar face.

it was dom. he was her mate and he lived down the road. he also had a younger cousin who was in the same class as bella. "hey ari" he said, wrapping his arms around her. she felt something other than dom's arms on her back.

she hadn't looked at what he was holding. when he stopped hugging her, he passed her what he'd brought. it was a small little bundle of red roses and a larger chocolate bar. "aww dom, you shouldn't have!" she said.

"no i should've!" dom laughed. he jokingly grabbed her and in a rugby tackle motion pushed her onto the sofa but it was gentle. he was the playfighting type, she was used to it. she sat up as he wrapped her arm around his shoulder.

he ruffled aria's hair. "how are you ari?" he asked. "i mean you fucking know how days like this are" she laughed. dom and her had been mates when morgan first got ill, they'd been mates long before that.

they were the typical best mates since diapers duo. their parents had made friends when aria's parents moved in to the neighbourhood and they were both the same month along with their pregnancies at the time.

so every baby picture, every memory was with each other. aria remembered her and dom having water balloon fights in the garden during the warm summers, going on duo family holidays together etc.

and all of their school photos were together as her and dom were rarely seen without each other. dom had actually cried one time when aria didn't show up to school one day because she was sick that day, even though she showed up the next.

dom put some of their favourite albums on and they began listening together, dom's arm around aria the whole time. "we should probably get lunch going" aria laughed. she threw a pizza in the oven before dom started the music.

soon aria and dom were waiting for a pizza to finish cooking whilst dancing around the house to the arctic monkeys. "the neighbours must hate us" dom laughed as aria pulled out the pizza from the oven and put it on the cutting board.

she cut slices for killian and bella. "want some?" she offered to dom. he shook his head. "nah, it's fine, let them have it" dom said. "KILLIAN, BELLA, PIZZA!" aria called as two pairs of feet stormed downstairs.

"why'd you say pizza?" dom asked. "they're more likely to come down if i say pizza instead of lunch" aria laughed. "fair enough" dom laughed. the two youngest ate pizza and aria was doing dishes when there was another knock at the door.

dom got it and it was bella's friend asking if she wanted to play outside with her in her back garden. "aria can i go please?" she asked. "i'll text mum" aria replied. she texted her and she said yes because it was her back garden not some random park.

so bella left and killian went back upstairs. the house felt a lot quieter now. aria felt herself getting overwhelmed. sometimes days like this were too much to bear. she felt tears well in her eyes. "ari?" dom asked, seeing.

"just overwhelmed" she said through a hollow laugh. dom understood, just nodding. sometimes him not repeating it was best, just knowing and doing what she needed. he pulled her to him and her head lay on his chest.

he played with her hair as he hummed a simple tune to her. she smiled softly, lifting her hand around her neck. she soon fell asleep and dom let her sleep, just turning on tv to watch some movies.

bella came back and killian let her in so dom didn't have to move. it was 6pm and aria was still asleep on dom's chest. she was stirring though, so she'd probably wake up soon. then the door opened.

aria's parents and morgan. "ALL CLEAR PEOPLE!" her dad shouted. "YAY!" bella and killian said. aria stirred awake. "w-wha-t-t?" aria said, stirring awake. "it's all clear dipshit, off your husbands chest" morgan teased.

"i just came to make sure aria's ok" dom said to aria's mum. "thank you dom" her mum said. dom kind of saw himself out, giving you a quick hug before leaving the house. "he's a good kid aria" her mum said to her.

she looked over to the house across the road and saw the light turn on in the hallway. dom saw her from across the window and gave her a final wave. she smiled before facing her mum again and saying 3 words.

"yeah, he is"