Chapter 41

Manami stared at the calendar in awe as she felt the familiar feeling of stress pass through her body.

"The banquet is in five days..." She murmured quietly, gripping tightly a handful of her hair in a fist. "On top of that, I have to pack to leave in twelve days. What's with this eventful life I now suddenly have?"

The event with Manami's brother had so eagerly begged her to attend was nearing its day, and she had yet to practice the piece which Shu had promised to aid her in playing.

"I need to talk to him about it later..." She sighed, closing her planner and heading out the bedroom.

Reiji had requested earlier for her to come down. She believed he had a series of questions to inquire about the Mukamis and their lives. Of course, she was prepared to answer... selectively.

During her stay at the Mukamis' household, she had grown to like them, despite the tragedy of the last days. On the contrary, that incident showed her the humanly nature they still had, as only a heavy emotional instinct could have earned such a fiery response.

She didn't spend time remembering the way to the main living room. It was already engraved into her mind, despite being gone for a while. How accustomed she has become to this life...

Am I going to miss this when I leave?

Before she knew it, she stood in front of Reiji, who sat at his armchair, one leg crossed over another. He sipped on some tea, before gently putting it on top of the table.

He didn't turn to look at her, and it didn't seem as if he wanted to acknowledge her presence without her initiation. Reiji was cold, unlike the way he was before her kidnapping.

"What is it that you want?" Manami asked, tapping her foot.

Reiji stared at her for a moment, noticing the nervous action.

"I want information." He spoke harshly. "Tell me everything you know about them."

"I don't know if I know a lot, though." Manami shrugged, beginning to bend her fingers which she was hiding behind her back. "And everything I know, is probably all you already know."

"Perhaps I had given you too much credit." Reiji sighed in irritation, fixing his glasses in the process. "Anything at all?"

Manami thought for a moment.

"You do understand there is a consequence for keeping secrets?" Reiji said, a red glint in his glaring eyes, which were directed at her.

Manami gulped.

"Alright, I guess there is something." She gave in, looking him in the eyes, showing she indeed was being honest. "They kept on calling me Eve."

Reiji smirked, as Manami noticed smugness on his face.

"Did they?" He repeated, looking down at his tea set. "How interesting... Did you hear them mention the name Adam?"

Manami nodded her head lightly.

She was feigning ignorance to the fact that she knew exactly what the two terms meant. Hell, now that she knew what they were, the only thing she could do is inform Yui to be careful. This was no longer any of her business, and neither was it to begin with.

Her curiosity has dug her a hole so deep, she practically marched into it head on.

"I see..." Reiji chuckled. "My, my... What could those ex-humans possibly be planning?"

Manami stayed quiet.

So they know the Adam and Eve project but they don't yet know the role of the Mukamis? Am I the only one Karlheinz has revealed all of his plans to?