Chapter 24

The light radiating from the moon was cold and distant, and the chirping of the crickets helped elevate the feeling of loneliness on this particular night.

Manami sat against a tree, as she watched the water dance around under the windy sky. 

She had been sitting here since they got back from school, procrastinating on all of the assignments that had been assigned to her. That didn't bother her, since her mind was filled with thoughts that were far more important than school work...

"He likes me, but not romantically?" Manami spoke to the rose in her hand. "What exactly does that even mean? Does he mean he likes my body? No... that's not it. Perhaps, my personality? No - that's definitely not it either. We are too mismatched for that. What do you think?"

She looked down at the blood red flower for a moment, before throwing it to the side with a sigh.

"I have really hit rock bottom." She stood up and straightened out her skirt. "Talking to plants... I must be going insane."

"The brothers have not been treating you very kindly, have they?" 

Manami's eyes widened, as she jumped up in surprise at the sound of the new masculine voice which she couldn't recognize.

The stranger looked as if blood had been sucked out of him. The wrinkles around his eyes were evident in showing his age, but it wasn't that simple. He is a vampire, Manami thought, those crimson eyes cannot be mistaken for anything else.

"And who are you?" She asked, looking at the dark-green haired man which stood in front of her. "Are you perhaps the oldest brother?"

"I'm afraid my age doesn't qualify me to play such role." The man replied. "Though, please forgive the poor manners of my nephews. They are rough when it comes to women."

"Hm." Manami hummed, as she squinted her eyes at the man.

So he is their uncle, she thought to herself, how come I haven't seen him until now?

His red eyes were sending shivers down her spine, but not the good kind. A lump grew in her stomach at the sight of him. He is suspicious.

"Don't you wish to know my name?" The suspicious man asked, but Manami shook her head.

"No. I am not that interested." She started to walk away. 

"So you aren't the one with her heart after all. I was right."

"What?"

"Nothing."

Silence.

"I think I should go now." Manami responded, her eyebrows furrowed at the awkward interaction. "Have a good day."

"Likewise..." The man replied, staring at her as she walked away.

Manami hurriedly went through the trees, moving the sharp branches away from her face. A couple of small pale scratches were now present on her arms, but not enough to cause bleeding. She had made it to the main alleyway.

She heard shuffling from the side, as her head snapped in the direction it was coming from. 

"Oh... it's her." Manami said quietly, as she spotted Yui walking along the riverside valley. "Where is she going?"

Luckily, Yui didn't notice the presence of another human, who had began to slowly follow her lead.

Manami stopped, as she noticed Yui come to a halt in front of a stone pagoda, which was completely enveloped away from the outside.