17. The Sleepover

"I hate him," I say, grip tightening on my mug of tea

     "I hate him," I say, grip tightening on my mug of tea. "I hate him so much."

     Renjun doesn't take his eyes away from the TV in front of us. It's playing a murder documentary which would normally captivate me, but I'm too engrossed in expressing the immense dislike I have towards a certain hot, smart, really nice guy on the soccer team. I know that the past few days I've been questioning whether I'm starting to like He Who Shall Not Be Named but I'm insistent that I'm just in over my head. I'm frankly pretty pissed that I somehow fooled myself into thinking I'd ever feel something for That Guy I Won't Name. Nope. It's a trick.

     "Maybe if you tell yourself that another ten times, you'll actually mean it," Renjun calmly replies. "You're just trying to convince yourself that you still hate him because you're afraid that you have growing feelings for him."

     I gulp. I open my mouth, but Renjun quickly shuts me up with a warning tone. "And don't you dare tell me that I'm wrong. I'm Huang Renjun, bitch, I'm never wrong."

     "But what if it's an illusion? What if the only reason I think that I like him is because I've been pretending to like him? Maybe once this fake relationship comes to an end, we'll go back to our roots. You know, back to hating each other again." I suggest with a shrug of my shoulders.

     Renjun shakes his head. "Maybe you can. Not Donghyuck. The guy's in love with you."

     "Woah, woah, woah," I chuckle nervously while putting a defensive hand up. "Isn't...isn't that kind of an exaggeration? What, did he tell you that? Because there's no way that's...that that could be true."

      "Tell me? He doesn't even know it yet." Renjun scoffs. "I know Donghyuck better than you think I do—I can tell when he really cares about someone and much more than just a newfound friend."

Refusing to deal with any more of Renjun's bullshit, I glare at him as I decide to shut up and just drink my tea. My phone on the coffee table in front of us then vibrates and I scowl at how I immediately hope it's Donghyuck—damn it, I'm not supposed to name him—but it isn't.

It's a lame notification telling me to update my phone. Boo. He hasn't texted me all day either. Well, not that I'm expecting him to, I mean even if he texted me, I'd probably ignore him to prove that I don't like him but... fuck. I'm yearning to hear his voice at the very least. I don't know what's wrong with me.

"I'm going to go study." I mumble to Renjun who only hums back in acknowledgement. I retreat to my room and right as I'm about to turn on my laptop, my phone rings, this time flashing an incoming phone call from the person I've been thinking about all day.

     Not that I would admit that to him or anyone else for that matter.

     Attempting to play it cool, I greet him with "H-hey, uh, what's up?"