02. The Date

I only recall my heat-of-the-moment decision to replace Renjun's friend on her blind date the following Monday, which also happens to be my roommate's birthday that we're celebrating in the way he likes best: whiskey, sci-fi movies, home

     I only recall my heat-of-the-moment decision to replace Renjun's friend on her blind date the following Monday, which also happens to be my roommate's birthday that we're celebrating in the way he likes best: whiskey, sci-fi movies, home. He hates parties, he hates going out, he hates people, so ever since we became friends four years back, we've always spent his birthday quietly. He's so different than me that it's sometimes shocking how we've barely fought and are now even living together under the same roof.

If platonic soulmates do exist, then mine is definitely Huang Renjun.

"Hey, about that thing I said about replacing Lia on her blind date..." I say slowly.

My best friend doesn't take his eyes away from Interstellar on the TV, but he hums in response.
"Don't worry. I knew you were talking out of your ass."

Whew. I had made that request when I was overwhelmed by my feelings, having pushed aside the fact that I'm far from being emotionally stable and ready to show Mark what I've got. Honestly I'm still a wreck and the last thing I need is to go on a date with a guy I know nothing about. I can't even imagine liking someone new right now, let alone spend two hours with a complete stranger in hopes that the connection would bloom into something more.

Huh. My ex-boyfriend didn't seem to have that problem.

"By the way, what are you going to do about Donghyuck?"

"What about him?"

"You're really going to spend this entire semester working side by side with him? I can't imagine that going well." Renjun turns to look at me.

Many people from college, especially Justice members, know that Donghyuck and I tend to disagree on a lot of things. Two power-hungry top students are bound to clash in opinions after all. Only a few, however, know the true depth of our shared history. Renjun is one of them, considering that not only is he my closest friend from high school, he also happens to be close to Jeno, the kinder, sweeter, angelic Lee twin. As for Renjun and Donghyuck's relationship, I can't say they detest each other, but certain barriers have been set in place due to, well, me.

"I'd rather work with him than back down. If he doesn't want to work with me so bad then he can go and do something about it. I'm going to stay professional." I say, sipping my drink.

     Renjun is silent for a moment. He then glances at me with a concerned expression.
     "I just don't want a repetition of senior year." he mumbles.

     My bottle halts at my lips. I'm a little taken aback, but I quickly compose myself and clear my throat.

     "Senior year won't happen because this time, I'm his equal. Not his inferior." I say, unsure whether I'm trying to convince Renjun more or trying to convince me, as I push away those rotten memories from my mind.