20. The Trip

(11:36am) junie: your husband has picked up your bags and is on his way to campus     (11:36am) junie: have fun on your honeymoon loser     (11:37am) junie: hope you brought your good underwear <3

     (11:36am) junie: have fun on your honeymoon loser
     (11:37am) junie: hope you brought your good underwear <3

     As my professor dismisses the class, my eyes widen at Renjun's last text, before I smirk to myself and sending an equally naughty reply. I slide my phone into my pocket as I stand up and grab onto my tote bag, ready to leave the class with my excitement bouncing in each step. I'm so thrilled that I think I might run into Donghyuck's arms when I see him. Sure, it's only an overnight stay on a low budget—of course, Donghyuck's definition of "low" is different than mine—but it's quality alone time that I can't wait to spend with him.

It's well-deserved after a month of pretending to be lovers in front of other people. Being such good actors turns out to be pretty tiring.

Too wrapped up in my daydreams, I accidentally bump into someone on my way out of the classroom. I mumble an apology that trails off when I realize that with my luck, of course the person I bumped into happens to be my ex-boyfriend. Mark is clearly tense as he holds eye contact with me, while I refrain from rolling my eyes and proceed to leave. To make it worse though, the moment I leave the classroom, the first person I see in the hallway is his girlfriend, whom I had unkindly called a bitch the last time I met her. I didn't want to talk to Chaeyoung then, and I most definitely don't want to talk to her now on what's supposed to be a happy day for me.

"Moon Haeyi."

Oh, great.

"I'm kinda busy, Chaeyoung. Is it urgent?" I try my best to keep my tone steady.

"It's about Donghyuck."

Hearing his name triggers my fight-or-flight response; my expression immediately turns into a scowl, my grip on my backpack strap tightening so much that I can feel the coarse fabric burning my palm. I don't say anything, but I cock my head to tell Chaeyoung to get on with what she wants to say to me.

"Chae?" Mark's voice comes from behind me right as Chaeyoung's about to open her mouth.

She hesitates, then sighs. She says that she would talk to me later over text and before I can question where she would even get my number, she puts on the sweetest smile and jogs past me, presumably to get to Mark. I'm weirded out by this encounter and pretty curious to know about what it is Chaeyoung has to say about Donghyuck, but I refuse to look back at everyone's favourite campus couple. I march on, clearing my head to focus on nothing except my destination.

My destination, who as usual, leans against his car to greet me in this cold weather. My destination smiles when he sees me and for some reason, his smile gives me the courage to ignore all the odds—I walk right up to him and I throw my arms around him. He's taken aback, yet he still hugs me back, asking if class was alright.