03. The Game Plan

"What are you doing here?" I screech, disguised as a whisper

Donghyuck scoffs. "I should be the one to ask you that—you're in my date's seat. And I know you well enough to know your last name isn't Choi."

I groan. This blind date was organized via a romance-revolving club on campus called "The Cupids" where their activities consist of offering love advice, setting loners up on dates and shoving sex education brochures into people's faces. According to Lia, when you sign up for a blind date under them, they'll give you exactly one piece of information about your date and your date would receive one piece of information about you. I'm guessing all she gave Donghyuck was her last name and all he gave her was that he's on the soccer team.

     Gah, of all the cute boys on the soccer team! Why does it have to be him?

     "I usually find you really repulsive but out of all the dates I've been on, this has to be the most fun one," Donghyuck smirks.

     "Do you take all your dates to a place this fancy?" I ask with zero curiosity, ignoring the earlier part of his remark.

     "Only the sixth," he replies. "Six is my lucky number. All the other dates are taken to Burger King."

     "I love Burger King so much." I say for only my ears to hear. I love burgers to a very unhealthy level and I'd much rather have a Whopper alone than an exquisite meal with a complete douchebag.

     Shit, my arm is starting to hurt from holding up this menu. Maybe I should hold it up close to my face instead, at least there'd be something to read.

     "What's funny is that I swear I saw your boyfriend walk in just a while ago with a different girl," Donghyuck says and the menu almost freefalls from my hands.

     "We broke up." I answer quickly.

     I know I said that my relationship with Mark had been extremely private, but the world is also way too small. Mark happens to be close to Jeno as they're both on the basketball team together and the twins can share absolutely no secrets. Whatever Jeno knows, Donghyuck knows. Luckily it's not information that can benefit Donghyuck or humiliate me in any way so the unnecessary knowledge of my relationship stopped with him.

     "So you're saying that you and your ex-boyfriend are on two separate dates in the same restaurant at the same time?"

     "Are you fucking laughing at me?" I squint my eyes at him from above my menu.

     Donghyuck clutches his stomach, gleefully laughing like there's no tomorrow. Most of the time he puts on either a stoic or irritated expression when he's around me, like those are his two default Moon Haeyi expressions, so seeing him laughing so hard at my misery has me contemplating whether I should throw something at his head. I don't want to get banned from a restaurant this lovely, though.