23. The End

Everywhere I look, all I can see is the sight of Donghyuck on a date with a girl I don't recognize

     Everywhere I look, all I can see is the sight of Donghyuck on a date with a girl I don't recognize. I'm crushed, though I know I don't have the right to be. Since the day at the cafè, which was three days ago, I've been waiting for my midterms to conclude before I approach Donghyuck to say that I'm sorry. Even if there may be nothing left for me to salvage, I still have to apologize and hope there's room for him to forgive me.

I never meant to hurt him. The last thing I'd ever want is to hurt him yet that's the one thing I did.

Halfway into studying for my last paper, I struggle with several questions that I simply don't have the brains to solve. I've scribbled and erased my answer attempts so many times that the paper is all crumpled and smudged. This isn't my best subject, but it is Jaemin's so I inmediately call him to ask for guidance. Five calls go to voicemail and I pack up, calling a cab with directions to his house. Might seem like a total hustle just for seven questions, but I have a GPA to care for and I will not let those seven questions be the potential reason for my downfall.

When I arrive at Jaemin's apartment, however, it isn't him who greets me at the door.
It's Jeno.

"Hae," Jeno's smile doesn't quite reach his eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"I want to ask Jaemin some questions for our paper tomorrow but he didn't pick up his phone. What are you doing here?" I raise an eyebrow.

Jeno hesitates. "Um, how about you come in first? Jaemin was called in last minute for his part-time job, that must be why he didn't answer his phone."

     Oh yeah, I forgot that Jaemin's a working student. Knowing I've got nothing better to do, I accept Jeno's invitation and make myself comfortable on Jaemin's couch, my tote bag dropped at my feet. Jeno takes the space next to me and is quiet at first, until I shoot him a questioning look.

     "I've been staying at Jaemin's the past couple of days, actually," Jeno rubs the back of his neck.

     "Donghyuck and I aren't on talking terms."

    "You and me both," I shrug, until I properly process what Jeno just said. "Wait— what?"

     Jeno sighs. "Yeah, and it's why I'm really guilty towards you too. I think you might hate me when I tell you this."

     "And why would that be?"

     "The whole thing about Donghyuck, you, Chaeyoung..." Jeno trails off. "It's my fault. I got drunk when the basketball team went out for dinner and at some point I blurted out the truth about you and Donghyuck because I thought I was alone. I don't even know why I was talking about that in the first place, but the point is I wasn't alone. I was with Mark and I didn't realize it until it was too late."

     "Oh, Jeno..."

     "And I only remembered that it happened when Donghyuck told me you accused him of telling Chaeyoung, but I guess she actually found out from Mark and played it off as Donghyuck telling her just to mess with you guys," Jeno buries his face in his hands, then looks up at me with glossy eyes.