13. The Change

Message sent

Message sent.

     I sigh in relief, nodding at Mark that the e-mail containing our assignment has officially been sent to Professor Jeon. I crack my knuckles as I close my laptop, my fingers sore from all the typing I've done these past few hours. For our last discussion, Mark and I decided to sit through editing and adjustments at one time after piecing together our respective parts of the assingment. More than anything, I'm relieved that I won't have to see my partner's face more than I already have to.

     My phone lights up from an incoming notification and I pretend I don't notice Mark sneak a peek. Not that I mind, I actually want him to see my wallpaper: it's a photo from the MT that Jaemin took as Justice's appointed photographer, where he missed the timing and shot a picture of Donghyuck midway stuffing bread into his mouth for one of the games. It's too hilarious (and pretty adorable) for me to keep hidden in my camera roll, so I made it my lockscreen wallpaper under the pretense that it's a part of the act.

     Right on schedule, Donghyuck walks into the library to pick me up after practice as a conclusion to the Mark portion of our agreement. What had pleasantly shocked me was that our discussion ran later than planned, but he still insisted on picking me up since it's going to be nightfall soon. Though his black cap shadows his face, I can see his smile towards me clearly. I brace myself for a kiss on the lips to show off to my ex-boyfriend, yet Donghyuck softly kisses my forehead instead and I try to hide my surprise at how nice it feels. I've never gotten any forehead kisses before—all I've seen is people talk about how it's the best type of kiss and I had started to believe I'm not worthy of one.

     "You ready to leave?" Donghyuck asks, picking my bag up for me.

     "Yeah—"

     "Actually," Mark butts in and the way Donghyuck looks at him is the same way Donghyuck used to look at me. Come to think about it, I haven't seen that look in a while now. Not even in all the ridiculous amount of time we've spent together.

     "Can I talk to Haeyi about something? It's pretty urgent. In private."

     Donghyuck cocks an eyebrow, then sighs like it's the hardest thing he's ever had to do in his life. He whispers to me, loud enough for Mark to hear, that he parked his car outside the library and he leaves, taking my heavy bag with him. I just know that whatever Mark wants to talk about, it's not going to end up well, so I invite him to converse outside in the corridor where noone would be at this time of hour.

     "I just need to clarify to you a few things," Mark says the moment we step out. "I never cheated on you. I know what it looks like, but I never contacted Chaeyoung when we were dating, not even once. I was serious about you—"

     "Not physically, maybe," I mumble. "But can you swear to me that you didn't cheat on me emotionally? That you didn't think about her when we were together or that you didn't think about leaving me once you found out Chaeyoung and Donghyuck broke up?"