06. The Apartment

I find it difficult to focus in my classes the next day

     I find it difficult to focus in my classes the next day. My hand is writing down most things that my lecturer is saying, but I'm digesting none of it. My mind is instead a chaotic fish market except it's bargaining thoughts rather than fish and all the sellers are discussing one major concern: how does Donghyuck know Mark and Chaeyoung?

When I asked Donghyuck about it, he gave me some bullshit answer about how he knows Mark through Jeno and Chaeyoung's in his department. I say it's bullshit because I know Chaeyoung isn't in his department and something about the way the three of them acted around each other tells me that I'm being left out. I don't like being left out. I know that they're hiding something from me; both Mark and Chaeyoung looked like they saw a virgin ghost, while Donghyuck put on his usual smug, confident facade but I could see he was tense in a way I don't understand.

I'm starting to think Donghyuck is helping me out with my whole fake boyfriend issue for more than one reason.

"You look stressed out." Jaemin slides a piece of candy onto my desk.

"Thanks," I whisper as I unwrap the candy and pop it into my mouth. "Hey, Jaem. I have something to ask you about Donghyuck."

"What about him?" Jaemin leans closer to me, still staying concentrated on writing down notes.

     "Do you know how he knows Chaeyoung? Lee Chaeyoung? From the fashion design department."

     Jaemin's pen abruptly stops. He opens his mouth as he looks at me, hesitating to answer. "It's not... it's really not my place to say. You should ask him yourself, Hae. I don't think he'll be happy if you find out from me."

     Great. Now I'm even more intrigued and the curiosity is going to kill me and my cause of death will be due to suspense. What an awesome way to go.

     All these "what if"s and ridiculous theories continue plaguing my mind, even many hours later by the time I'm home. Renjun's in the kitchen to make dinner for the both of us and I'm in the shower, shampooing my hair in hopes that I'll be able to scrub away these bothersome thoughts from my head. Why would I need to think so much about the connection between my enemy slash fake boyfriend and my ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend? Right?

     Wearing nothing but a tightly wrapped baby pink towel once I'm done showering, I'm all ready to step out of the bathroom. It took less than a month of living together for Renjun and I to forget certain boundaries, especially since our shared bathroom is a stand-alone that faces the living room; my exposed shoulders and calves wouldn't be anything new for him to see. Hence, I barely react when I walk out of the bathroom and see Renjun staring at me from the couch with bulging eyes. It does, however, take me a second to realize that there is another boy beside Renjun. Not just any boy. It's my aforementioned enemy slash fake boyfriend.

     I scream as my hands shoot up to cover whatever could be seen of my upper body, stumbling a few steps backwards in shock. Donghyuck's expression remains noncholant—he seems more repulsed, rather than embarrassed or shy.