CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

I changed into jeans and a burgundy sweater. I messed around a bit with my bun, and put on my converse. After driving around for a little while, trying to locate their bus, I finally arrived close to six thirty. Josh opened the small door and invited me inside. Memories flooded my head as I looked at the television. This time, it was playing Captain America, but last time it told me about Alex's accident. I shuddered at the thought. Tyler was sprawled out on the couch, but quickly moved over to one side when I came in. 

"Hey," he said vaguely. 

I smiled and sat down beside him. Josh ended up on the other side of me, so I was sandwiched between them. 

"I already ordered pizza. It should be here soon!" Josh said proudly. 

Captain America ended and Tyler asked, "Anything you want to watch? We've got Netflix."

"Umm... I don't care," I said as Tyler browsed through the "Popular" section. 

We eventually decided on "The Way Way Back." Soon after it started, the pizza came. We watched and ate in silence. 

"I have to pee," Josh interrupted and paused the movie. 

"So, how's Alex?" Tyler asked politely.

"He's good. He came home today." 

"That's good," he replied. 

"So you and Madison?" I asked. "She threatened me at the creamery today." 

Tyler laughed obnoxiously, "She threatened you?" 

"Yeah," I laughed. 

"Listen, if you're worried that I'm gonna date her, I'm not. The only person I want to be with is you. But being with you is too difficult and complicated right now. I'm not giving up on us, I'm just... giving it time. I have faith that eventually, you'll feel the same." 

I didn't really know how to respond to that. The truth is, I did feel the same, right now. I wanted to tell him so badly. But instead I just sat there. Thankfully, Josh broke the awkwardness, as he came back from the bathroom shouting, "Who wants popcorn?" 

"Me!" Tyler shouted, seeming unaffected by what he just said. 

I went to the bathroom while they were making it. As I was returning, I heard them whispering. I hid behind the wall, eavesdropping. 

"Josh , I really like her, why can't she see that?" Tyler asked. 

"Maybe because she has a boyfriend," Josh replied smartly, "How do you know she'd date you anyway?" 

"What do you mean?" Tyler questioned, confused.

"How do you know she doesn't like me?" Josh asked, kind of curious. 

"She didn't kiss you," Tyler remarked. 

What? Me liking Josh? 

I didn't want to hear anymore, so I re-entered the room. Tyler and Josh exchanged quick glances. 

"Uh.. The popcorn's almost done," Josh said. 

"Cool," I said and sat back on the couch. After "The Way Way Back" we watched another movie called "The Giver." I was getting kind of tired. I gently leaned my head on Tyler's lap and stretched my feet out onto Josh's. Tyler put his arm on my shoulder. Eventually, the movie ended. It was almost eleven o'clock. I should get back to the dorm. I looked up, and Tyler had fallen asleep with his head drooping off to the side. 

"He's had a long day," Josh said.

"Yeah."

Josh got up and started picking up the dishes. I pushed Tyler's arm off of my shoulder and helped Josh. We carried them to the kitchen and set them in the sink. Josh stopped and stared at me. 

"So Jess, I have to tell you something. You know how when we were kids, we always wanted what one another had? Well, sometimes we don't realize what's right in front of us."

"Yeah, what's your point?" 

"Do you really like Alex?"

"Ugh that's none of your business," I said, annoyed.

"That wasn't a yes."

I sighed. "Okay, it's not that I don't like him. I'm just not that serious about him, I guess. Why do you care anyway? Is this about Tyler? Because he needs to solve his own problems."

"This has nothing to do with Tyler," Josh reassured.   

"Well what is this about then?"

Josh didn't say anything for a few seconds. Eventually he smiled and said, "This."

Before I knew it, Josh's and my face were less than an inch apart. His lips brushed softly against mine, and the next minute, we were making out. He leaned up against the small counter, and ran his hand through the back of my hair. I don't know why I kissed him back.

I felt the hair on the back of his neck and twisted it in my fingers. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him unbuttoning his shirt. I quickly pulled away in shock. A bit out of breath, we just exchanged awkward eye contact for the next minute, or so. 

"I should go," I began.

Tyler startled me as he walked into the kitchen. Josh quickly resumed washing the dishes, and I just stood there. Tyler yawned and said, "Sorry I fell asleep, what time is it?"

"Eleven thirteen," I said looking at my phone. "I'd better be going home." 

"You should just stay over. It's late," Tyler said.

"It's only eleven."

"Yeah but by the time you get home, it'll be late. Shouldn't you be asleep by now on a night before you have classes?" he persuaded. 

"My class starts at ten o'clock," I laughed, "but nice try."

I started walking towards the door, but he grabbed my arm.

"Please stay," Tyler begged. 

How could I stay after what just happened? part of my brain asked. But the other part of me wanted to stay since it would be the last time I would see them in a while. I also didn't want to leave things like this. 

"Please," he said with puppy dog eyes. 

"Fine," I said, and Josh shot me a disapproving glare.