CHAPTER ELEVEN

It was already Friday, and I already had my two classes this morning, leaving the remainder of my day free. Alex had a class now, so we wouldn't be able to see each other until evening. A bunch of people that I'd gotten to know since I've been here, were having a party tonight, so Alex and I planned on attending. 

It was nice to have some alone time for once. I changed out of my jeans into sweats, and stretched out on my bed. I had nothing better to do, so I grabbed my guitar and started tuning it using a tuning app on my phone. After it was tuned as close as possible, I looked up tabs for Twenty One Pilots songs. I started experimenting with March to Sea, when I heard a knock on my door. 

I twisted the door open to reveal Tyler. He held flowers and a small silver box in his hand.

"I see you're trying to play my songs," he said. 

"Kind of," I laughed. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

He took a deep breath, as I waited for his response.

"You know how we agreed on just friends, and that that kiss meant nothing?" 

"Yeah, becau..." I began. 

He interrupted, "Well, I can't just be friends Jessica. Being friends is not good enough for me. That kiss... It certainly meant something... to me at least. I don't know about you, but I feel a strong connection with you. It's like I was always a puzzle with one missing piece, but when I'm with you, I'm complete. I'm happy... happier than I've been in a while. I can't say that I'm falling for you Jess, because I already fell for you a long time ago." 

He handed me the flowers and box. My mind was racing. I lifted off the top of the box, and inside was a wooden Blue Chip guitar pick. It was a genuine and expensive pick, that I've wanted for a while, and just never got around to getting. At first, I smiled, flattered by Tyler's kindness and generosity. The next minute I was upset. 

"Stop!" I shouted at Tyler. "Stop being cute and nice and flirty and... stop being a gentleman for god's sake. I am not your girlfriend. I am not going to be your girlfriend. So stop confusing me and saying nice things that make me want to like you... because I'm in love with Alex, and you can't change that," I yelled. 

"Come on Jess... you know that..." Tyler begged.  

"Take your stupid flowers and pick and get out of my dorm!" 

I pushed the flowers into his chest, and he turned to leave with them in his hand. I caught a glimpse of tears that had welled up in his eyes as he was leaving. He closed the door behind him. 

Was I too hard on him? Too mean? But I had to make a point. Didn't I? Yes... but he brought flowers and a great pick. But Alex. Can't you like two people at once? Yes.. but you can't date two people at once. 

I had this argument with myself for probably over an hour, and just ended up crying into my pillow. I didn't want to like Tyler. Not now anyway.