CHAPTER TEN

After a long day of classes, Kara and I walked back to our room together. It was around four o'clock by the time we got back. To my surprise, Alex was there waiting for me dressed in a plaid button down shirt and khakis. 

"Alex!" I shouted and ran into his open arms. 

He kissed my forehead gently. 

"I missed you," he said. 

"I missed you too," I smiled. 

"Well I'll leave you two lovebirds alone. I'll be upstairs," Kara interrupted as she walked into the building. 

It felt good to be back, even though I was only gone for a few days. 

"I know it's a bit early, but do you want to grab dinner? I heard there's a nice restaurant called The Tavern downtown!" he offered. 

"Let me go upstairs and change first," I laughed. I'd woke up late this morning and hadn't had much time to get ready. My hair was in a messy bun, and I needed a shower. "How about you come back here in an hour and we'll go then?" 

"Alright," he said reluctantly. 

"Or you can come upstairs and chill with Kara while I get ready if you want," I offered. 

He agreed to that option, and we went upstairs. Kara was sprawled out on her bed, reading a book. She looked up at me and then Alex with a confused look on her face.  

"I'm gonna quick grab a shower... Do you mind if Alex waits up here with you until I'm finished? We're gonna head downtown then when I'm done." 

"That's fine with me," she shrugged and returned to reading her book. 

Alex, not sure what to do with himself, walked over and sat on my bed. My closet doors were open, and he noticed my guitar leaning against the wall inside it. He grabbed it and started messing around with some chords. 

"So this is the guitar you told me about?" he asked. 

"Yeah, it's not tuned at all though!" I laughed.

It sounded terrible, since I haven't played in a while. It was Tyler's cheap, old one that he gave to me once he got a better one. I always loved stringed instruments. I play piano, ukulele, and guitar, thanks to Tyler. He taught me everything I know about music. 

"Okay, I actually am going to go take a shower now," I said as I gathered my things and headed to the bathroom. 

As I was entering the bathroom, a girl slid directly into me, causing us both to fall on the wet, slippery floor. She looked like she had just been crying. 

"I'm so so sorry, oh my gosh," she said. 

"Don't worry about it... Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine. Thanks."

As we stood up, she said that she recognized me from somewhere. Her long, straight, dirty-blonde hair and hazel eyes did look a bit familiar to me. 

"Maybe you've just seen me around college. It's my first year here. Wait, actually I think you're in my art class... I'm Jess," I said. 

"Madison," she replied, "You're right. I knew I recognized you from somewhere," she replied.

"Yeah, I love that class."

"Well I guess I'll see ya around then. And sorry again about running into you," she said as she exited the bathroom. 

Something made me think I'd known her from somewhere else too, but I quickly dismissed the thought and got into the shower.  

****

I came back to the room, and Alex was no longer there. Kara told me he went to the bathroom down the hall. I'd already put a little make-up on and blow-dried my hair so that it actually looked nice for once. I dressed in a black skater skirt, with a beige sweater, knee-high socks, and knee-high boots. I grabbed my jacket and put my little lip gloss on. I went to wait for Alex in the hallway. 

He shortly came out of the bathroom, spotted me, and fast-walked towards me. 

"You look stunning," he said as his lips turn curled up into that charming smile of his. 

"You aren't so bad yourself," I replied. 

He held out his hand, and I took it as we walked to the elevator. 

A bit later, we arrived at The Tavern. It was a quaint little place, that was well-decorated inside. 

"Party of two for Alex," Alex said to the worker at the entrance. 

"I didn't know you made reservations," I commented. 

"It gets crowded sometimes. I called while you were in the shower," he explained. 

The waiter led us to our seats, and Alex pulled out my chair for me before taking a seat himself. 

"You're too sweet," I said. 

"What can I say? I think I'm very attracted to you Jessica Lightcap."

I blushed a little at the compliment, and felt really lucky to have Alex in my life. He was such a gentleman. He ended up ordering a steak with mashed potatoes, and I got shrimp scampi with pasta. It wasn't the best food I've ever had, but might have been one of the best nights I've ever had. Alex and I hadn't really even gotten the chance to get to know each other well. We talked the night away; not a second was quiet. I was sad when the waiter brought the check, because it meant we were going to be leaving soon. 

We made our way back to my dorm. Alex walked me all the way up to my floor. 

"I had such a nice time tonight, thank you," I said graciously.

"It was my pleasure," he said in return.

He was so tall that I had to go up slightly on my tiptoes for our lips to meet. Unlike the kiss with Tyler, this one lasted long, and ended softly. 

"Goodnight Alex," I whispered as I slipped into my dorm.